AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope we can get some good discussions going in this forum too!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Troy, Check the Photo thread in the general discussion forum. Glad to know you are "the man" here! Maybe I should post the machineguns in this forum too. As soon as you get to those SLR100H's, I'll post some pics of them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just picked up!

My first FA AK, it was a Red Dawn gun certified with letter and I checked the website, It was made into a Krink by Murray Urbach in 2003, hasn't been fired since conversion, I shot it when the guy first got it, it was still in Movie dress, it shot great, but looked like hell. I would rather have it back like it was, but I didn't own it, it is in 5.45x39 now a Bulg. Kit. It looks great. I also bought a AAC 5.45 suppessor for it, First serial numbers start with KGB. It looks cool. That is it for now, if I could get my shrike, LM7 and my FNC back from Curtis, I would be in good shape.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Have a chinese underfolder since the early eighties. Nothing special. Sorry, no photos at this time. :smileak:

·
Banned
85 Posts
i dont own one, but i got too shoot a few mags from one, it had a slow rate of fire, actually, i could count the rounds as they were fired, i dont know if thats normal, but it struck me as very weird, i expected 10 rounds a second. more like 4-5 rounds a second.

wasnt as badass as i thought it would be, but id still love to own one.

·
Banned
2,035 Posts
My most fun one is a Bulgy Krink 7.62 ,built on a Global 1.6 mm with a Ace stock and a AMD fcg , hits about 900-1000 rpm . Best handleing is a 5.45 SAR with the 100 series front end and a 74 type fcg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been considering adding a reistered AK to my NFA collection. However, I know very little about the different versions/conversions, which are most sought after (I assume an amnesty registered bring back). Is there anyone here who can educate me or direct me to a site which can?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SigForLife said:
I have been considering adding a reistered AK to my NFA collection. However, I know very little about the different versions/conversions, which are most sought after (I assume an amnesty registered bring back). Is there anyone here who can educate me or direct me to a site which can?
Some questions for you....

What do intend to use it for? Are you interested in a "collectible" or a "shooter"? What type of shooting do you intend to do? Do you like general blasting/plinking or do you like controlled/aimed fire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do some shooting, but not a lot. I have a mp5, mp5sd, mp5pdw, Uzi, Mini Uzi, Micro Uzi, M16, AUG and a Beretta 93r. I am not one who just goes and blasts ammo away, but I like the occasional ammo dump. I am probably more interested in the collectibility aspect, but I do shoot everything I have. From my limited knowledge, I understand that the AK is generally a good 1st shot, but becomes limited after that; nonetheless, it is one that keeps on going. Also, although not for the purpose I intend, I understand the caliber is very different from the 5.56, which goes right through and has a limited neutralizing affect compared to the AK round which was designed to "wiggle" and cause a more substantial neautralizing affect. I have several GI friends in the sandbox that like the AK much better then the m16/m4. Personally, I like the AUG better than the m16 but I enjoy trying new weapons and calibers.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I don't own any FA weapons

but I have access to over 100 ak74s and AKMs whenever I feel the need to shoot them......hehehe

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SigForLife said:
I do some shooting, but not a lot. I have a mp5, mp5sd, mp5pdw, Uzi, Mini Uzi, Micro Uzi, M16, AUG and a Beretta 93r. I am not one who just goes and blasts ammo away, but I like the occasional ammo dump. I am probably more interested in the collectibility aspect, but I do shoot everything I have. From my limited knowledge, I understand that the AK is generally a good 1st shot, but becomes limited after that; nonetheless, it is one that keeps on going. Also, although not for the purpose I intend, I understand the caliber is very different from the 5.56, which goes right through and has a limited neutralizing affect compared to the AK round which was designed to "wiggle" and cause a more substantial neautralizing affect. I have several GI friends in the sandbox that like the AK much better then the m16/m4. Personally, I like the AUG better than the m16 but I enjoy trying new weapons and calibers.
If collecting is your thing.....then an amnesty registered bring-back would be the holy grail of AKs. Expect to pay 30K plus for one(anything less would be considered a "bargain"). Conversions make of the majority(all?) of the rest of transferable AKs and there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the value or desirability among the Chicom guns. Many would consider the so-called "Red Dawn" guns to be highly collectible because of there use in the movie and the fact they they were converted Maadis which were built on Russian tooling in Egypt. The serial numbers of these guns can be verified at Long Mountain Outfitters website as they were the dealer that liquidated the Stembridge inventory. There is also a premium paid for converted Maadis that were not used in the movie because of they were built on the Russian tooling, therefore, making them more authentic. Another category of transferable AKs would be various Valmets and Galils. Even though the Valmets are premium guns, they seem to sell for less than the Chinese guns(I suppose that is a function of the lack of available parts for them). A possible exception to that may be the 7.62 RPK and M62S(milled receiver 7.62 cal). Galils seem to sell for approx 2-3K more that the Chinese guns.

To me, the underfolders are the least desirable(most uncomfortable to shoot) and a full stock, 7.62 gun the most desirable. You will find widely varying opinions on this issue and I would recommend shooting several if you can before you buy, except of course, if you choose a bring-back.

Lastly, you could go to www.subguns.com and search the NFA archives as there has been quite a bit of discussion of the virtues of most NFA AKs there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what's the difference between a s/a receiver and a select fire receiver.
I'm talking receivers only! :confused:nothing to do with internals, I'm just one of those guys that like to know how things work. You know the kid that took his fathers new cordless drill apart to find out how it worked... tht was me 25 yrs ago. :lol: any way just curious :cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry for bringing up this old thread but here is a pic of my wife shooting our $135 full-auto AK47. It's a Post Sample that I build using a Ewbanks $40 receiver and a $95 Romy parts kit.

thanks,
Ron
07/02

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just want to let you guys know that I ran the AK with an Primary Weapons (formerly AK Concepts) recoil compensator and I DEFINITELY noticed a difference. It was much easier to stay on target with bursts and even on semi-auto. I would definitely recommend that you guys pick one up.

I didn't get a chance to run the M-16 JTac because we ran out of time but I will let you guys know how it runs when I do.

Here is my friend shooting our Post Sample with the JTac. Also included is a pic of the M-60 for good measure.

thanks,
Ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts