AK Rifles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hungarian PA-63 or Polish PM 64 or Yugo M70?

All list for less than $150 right now.

I'd like to get one, but have never fondled any of them. Recommendations needed.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just picked up both a PA-63 and a P64. The Radom P64 has it all over the FEG PA-63 in fit, finish and workmanship. Besides, the Polish one is new-old stock and the FEG is used, though very slightly. Both shoot the 9mm Mak (9x18). The 64 is my carry gun. Its essentially a PPK.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn...after browsing for reviews and feedback on the web, I just may hold on to my money.

Maybe a Walther is worth the purchase.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
Damn...after browsing for reviews and feedback on the web, I just may hold on to my money.

Maybe a Walther is worth the purchase.

Not a new Walther, that's for sure. Smith and Wesson has really screwed up a beautiful old gun.

I'd go with a Makarov, or the Polish P64. Biggest issue with the P64 is the trigger pull, but you can lighten that.

I owned a P63, and it was a decent gun, but it did bark a bit with that aluminum frame.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just picked up two Polish p-64s. Got them from SOG, they were $129 ea. (Two or more) $139 for one and came with 3 mags. They look NEW and are great little shooters.

If you can find a Makarov for what you have to spend go for it, But this little P-64 is the next best thing IMO. Uses 9x18 mak ammo, so it's pretty cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well i have the CZ52 and love it. I had a P64 and dumped it. I made the mistake of buying it as a first pistol. now i want to pick up another and the pa63 for the light weight alloy frame. also try looking at the mdl70s at SOG right now those might be nice and CHEAP

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
P64, based on your list. But I strongly encourage you to consider a Bulgarian MAKAROV.... the P64 is really a good variant for MAK owners.

Oh - ignore the crap abou the P64 having unusable double action trigger pull .... those articles were written by people that don't OWN a P64.

·
Registered
74 Posts
from what i have been told the CZ70 is the civilian etition of the cz50 and is for all intents and puropses is the same gun, with interchangeable parts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I have a P64 and love it. Great little shooter! Very accurate too. And it is beautifully made.
It does have a VERY heavy DA pull on that first shot if you store it with a round in the chamber. But I see that as a safety device of sorts. If you don't like that just pull the hammer back with your thumb and shoot the whole string of rounds in SA. It's SA trigger pull is excellent.
I can hit a target OK with it in DA if I preload the trigger, focus and then finish the squeeze. I can consistently hit a 8" circle in DA at 30' that way in my experiments on the range. Good enough. But in SA I can keep the pattern within a 3" circle consistently with most rounds being w/i a 2" circle. I'm no expert, so this is pretty good shooting.
There is a site just for P64's that has a good article on changing out the heavy trigger spring for a lighter one made by Wolfe. That cures the heavy DA. Just one pin to press and replace. Looks like a 15 minute repair.
But I've decided to leave mine as is. After some practice, I can live with it just fine.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
MRIman said:
Look at Makarov's and CZ-52's. I favor the Mak's,but ever time I
shoot my CZ I say WOW!!

MRI
+1,000

i love my little Russian PM,...and i just got a CZ-52 this week(enough money escaped the black hole of the AK money pit)

that CZ-52 sounds like a damn cannon and shoots like a laser.

first clip i shot out of it i dumped it as fast as i could and i was in love with it after that

tha pa-63/64's are nice but if your going to get a pistol in 9x18 Makarov,...
get a Makarov. if your willing to look and lucky you can come up on a good deal,.. i got my Russian PM (bulgy sneak) for 125+ x-fer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts