AK Rifles banner

Which on would you choose for CCW carry?

• Smith & Wesson 638

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radom P-64

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used my 5 rnd S&W 638 for my CCW and I would carry a speedloader in my pocket if I could. Now I purchased a Radom P-64 holds 6 in mag and 1 in chamber, and the extra mag is very slender and can never really be dtected. The P-64 is slimer due to the fact that the S&W 638 has a cylinder. Lately I have been carring the p-64 and I actually like it better. I have always carried the smith in the small of the back, and with the p-64 I carry in front with an uncle mike IWB holster.

I have been shooting the hell out of the p-64 trying to make it jam and so far I have put ~400rnd through it of RNC (i have never heard of it but it's cheap and made in russia) and I have not cleaned it and it has not jammed.

Which one would yall use?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I do not own a revolver, they are bulky and hold in most cases only 6rnds. I would go with the Radom, I am not familiar with them but you are comfortable with it, trust its reliability and enjoy its slimmer profile there you go. My smallest CCW is a Colt Mustang .380, I really like it and for close in personal defense I have great trust in hopped up .380 loads. My favorite CCW is an HK P2000SK, it is very accurate, light enough to carry in the small of my back IWB, and has a fairly high ammo capacity (11 with one up the spout).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I use the p-64 myself. I like Cor-Bon Powerball,or JHP.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Id go with the snubby. The thing I like about a revolver is that you only need one hand to fire it. Misfire? Just pull the trigger again. If you miss five or six times, you probably shouldnt have been firing in the first place. Just MHO.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd have to agree with the concept of a revolver only taking one hand to fire. Every automatic I own, SA as well as DAO only take one hand to fire, I suppose it does take a little training to trip the safety off but then thats what its all about. I've never been a great fan of carrying an automatic cocked and locked, unless there is imminent danger, some autos like Glocks and others are practically fool-proof with safety devices. In close in encounters where your assailant could possibly grab your weapon in the struggle, with a revolver he could stop the cylinder from rotating, no so with an auto. This debate has gone on from the days the 1911 came into service, some of the old die-hard revolver guys refused to change-over to the automatic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fearless 51 said:
In close in encounters where your assailant could possibly grab your weapon in the struggle, with a revolver he could stop the cylinder from rotating, no so with an auto. \.
But if the assailant was that close to stop the rotation of the cylinder he could also theoretically push the slide back on the semi and it will not fire

·
Registered
431 Posts
Depends on your state laws. In TX if you take CCW class with a revolver, all you can carry is a revolver. If you take with a semiauto, you can carry either.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k98k792 said:
I use the p-64 myself. I like Cor-Bon Powerball,or JHP.
The Corbons function fine in it.

I have not used any HP in the p-64 to determine how/if it will feed. Right now I use FMJs in it.

However, in the snubby I use Corbon DPX which is an all copper bullet http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon .45 ACP.htm

I do not think that COrbon makes the DPX for the 9x18

One other thing is ballistically how much difference is their between the 38spl and the 9x18, the 38spl that I use are +Ps

·
Registered
297 Posts
Which ever one you shoot best.

The P-64 probably conceals a bit better being thinner.

I've got two similar guns. A S&W 642 and a FEG SMC-918.

I end up carrying a Kel-tec P-3AT most of the time because it is smaller and lighter than either.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Try a pocket holster. J Frames do really well because they don't print and there extra width isn't noticeable.

I have a 340 that I carry.

ETA: I carry a Glock 26 too. I feel there is a big jump in firepower when you go up to a Glock subcompact with 9-10 rnd and a 15-17 rnd reload.

A slim auto like the p-64 doesn't really fit in for me. If I was to get another auto, it would probably be tiny like an LCP or a Keltec. Anything larger and I may as well have the glock.

·
Super Moderator
26,080 Posts
I chose the revolver because you will never have to worry about a jam like you would with an auto loader. FTF? Just keep pulling the trigger.
Find a good holster that works for you, and practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
magnus392 said:
Depends on your state laws. In TX if you take CCW class with a revolver, all you can carry is a revolver. If you take with a semiauto, you can carry either.
Here in the great state of Mississippi all you do is go down to the DMV on a Wednesday and complete the form and pay the $175 and wait 90 days (all they do is run a NICS check and a local check, so I do not know why it takes 90 days) and it is valid for 4 years. then I believe the renewal is $75 for another 4 years--that is it

·
Registered
446 Posts
smith for sure. just a guess but i would say it has 2/3 more knock down power.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Second on the smith, I use smaller semi-autos (P3AT) as a backup to my primary carry gun. The smith can't jam, can't FTE or FTF. If you have a light primer strike just pull the trigger again.

3 shots, 3 yards, 3 seconds right? Guns like the P3AT and LCP weigh as much as a reload, but can be used in the situation that one gun gets away from you.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
xcibes said:
I have a P64 but I do not carry it because the trigger is so damned heavy. I am thinking of carrying my east german Makarov....so much smoother. With that said, I would really like to carry the P64, once I get a good trigger job done on it.
All you need to do is get a lighter hammer spring from Wolff. Very easy to do. http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I don't have a P64, but I do have a Makarov (5 in fact), a 638, and a Ruger LCP (yep bought another one)

I carry the LCP all the time lately (it is new), but before that it was the 638 the most.

The 638 is great because it is a revolver and don't jam.
if it misfires you just pull the trigger again....

·
Registered
900 Posts
+1 on the Smith and a pocket holster. Never let you down and powerful loads available as well.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
My 638 goes with me everywhere. It's perfect for hot weather carry. It's light enough to pocket in golf shorts or jeans.

If I need more then 5 rounds the speed loader is always nearby, but, if the situation requires more than 5 rounds, my ass needs to be on the move.

+P for the 638.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts