AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a safe to upgrade from a smaller one. Looking for a capacity of 26-32 long guns in the $1100-1200 range. Mine is currently a combination lock, should I upgrade to an electronic keypad lock? I've heard horror stories about the electronic locks failing and collections being locked up pretty good.

Also, is the brand Diamond Back and Mesa Safe Co good?

I was thinking this one:

Mesa Safe Co 32 gun safe with electronic lock

or this one....

Diamond Back 26 gun safe with combination lock

· Registered
23,510 Posts
Ive got a winchester safe that has an electronic lock

in case of an EMP...I think things would be in a bigger shit-pickle than "omg i cant get to my long guns" situation.... if you were in a SHTF EMP state of mind... any E-locks would be disregarded.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Electronic locks do not require an EMP to fail. Call a Locksmith and ask him what he thinks.

I would use an electronic lock if it was for a retail store where changing the codes was common and intra-day access was required. Mechanical locks have simply been proven time and time again to be more reliable.

If you electronic lock fails, I would guess there is a key backup. Doesn't that just make it a key locked safe?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
wingnut308 said:
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

a little bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. A no frills, no gadget, no luxury safe, just a shit load of steel and solid design.
Heres a quote from their website

"We only recommend Electronic Locks to be used for people who have a hard time seeing the numbers on standard dials, because, like most electronics, they break or the batteries die, etc. However, the same thing goes for all other electronic locks on the market. It's more beneficial to have a dialing combination lock which truly lasts a lifetime! THIS VOIDS A SMALL PART OF THE LIFETIME WARRANTY by making home owner pay for the locksmith entry if ever one is needed."

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Wilhelm said:
I use Liberty.....love them. NO electronic for me. I trust mechanical stuff. I've been screwed by technology WAY too many times to trust transistors.
This is the kind I have. A piece of advice...get a safe for double the rifles you own...space runs pretty damn quick!

· Registered
3,466 Posts
Bear Safes are the only way to go. Check them out. Not fancy, but it will NOT get broken into and the fire safety rating iw awesome for the price you pay.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm leaning towards an AMSEC BF or the MESA safe. I know everyone has their favorite brand but help me decide between these two on the plate:
http://www.gunsafes.com/American-Securi ... F6030.html
http://www.gunsafes.com/Mesa-Safes-1-Ho ... -Safe.html

Which one of the two? The MESA is heavier.

Are there any online safe establishments that have a payment plan? I understand that any safe can be broken into I just need an affordable safe to store the guns and valuables in case of break in or fire. It doesn't have to be indestructible, just be a SAFE place.

· Registered
6,111 Posts
AmSec = 12 Gauge body =

I cant find the thickness on the Mesa safe anywhere on their or gunsafes.com's sites. all i can find is a "Steel body with an overall thickness of 1.5", enclosed with a fire resistant material". not a good sign.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
I have Lincolns. I talked to a locksmith who has been in the business for over 50 years. He doesn't sell product, just his services. He told me that the S&G lock is the best you can buy unless you are filthy rich and that about the only way you are gonna get in a Lincoln, short of picking the lock, is with explosives. That was enough endorsement for me. Sure, you can get ANYTHING open with enough time and effort but anyone with those kinds of talents is probably not interested in anything I have!

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Not only that, but if someone wants it bad enough, they'll wait till you're gone and a soft target like your wife or kids are home, wait for you to come home and open it for them. I don't care how bad ass my safe is or how much I like what's inside, a situation like that....take it. Don't think it's a Hollywood story, it happened a couple towns over in Va last year, I read about it in the Va HTF from the guy it happened to.

eta, one of the best safeguards is to stfu about what you have.

· Registered
684 Posts
I have the diamondback safe pictured. It's a good safe, but I got to check out one the the amsec safes, and for that price, that's what I would get if I were you. Better fireproofing and pretty damn beefy. Good luck.

· Banned
708 Posts
Honestly? My advice is check out www.craigslist.org

I cannot tell you how many industrial quality smaller safes I've seen for FREE if you move them. And from the manuf. specs on the ones I've found, they are only around 1K lbs.

It's worth hiring a rigger at 450 bucks to remove and place at your house.

And usually, they are of a much higher quality than most bigboxstores/low end RSC's.

I had to pass on a double door Melink because it was on a 3rd floor. My Rigging company hookup charges per step. :eek:wned:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.