AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about placing an order with AWO for one of their Yugo m76 rifles.I am having a hard time deciding on the caliber 308,30-06, or 8 mm.

I know that 308 and 30-06 are available in the area I live in and this is the reason I am really leaning towards the 308.I have seen in forums, that the 8mm ammo is hard to find and you really have to watch out what you buy for this rifle.

If this were you in this situation and you were buying one of these rifles,which caliber would you buy and why?Would really like to hear from some of you who own these rifles.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Assuming that 8mm is the original cartridge the rifle was chambered for, that's what I'd get. I reload, so the cost differences are insignificant. Even if I didn't reload, the few bucks more for a box of new manufactured 8mm versus 308Win would be worth it to me.

·
Banned
345 Posts
I really think that the .308 would be cool to have, but I wouldn't change a thing on my 76. 8mm is a really good round, but on the other hand if something ever happens .308 will be much easier to get than 8mm I would think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.Just ordered the M76 in 8mm from AWO.Could you guys recommend some good ammo to shoot in it and where to buy it in bulk.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Don't forget that the surplus stuff is corrosive. For as much as Weidener's is selling the corrosive Yugo stuff for ($11.33 per 20rd box), I'd buy the Prvi from Aim ($14.95 per 20rd box) and reload or sell the boxer primed cases.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
+1 for privi. About as good as you can reasonable find and pay. I've seen it around $12 per box, but that was last year.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I loaded up on a couple thousand rounds of M75 when it was still a little over .40c/rd. :twirl: It is the ammo made specifically for the M76. :sniper:

- New 198gr PRVI is the next best thing or better than M75 as it's non corrosive and reloadable and according to PRVI is loaded almost with the same pressure and bullet.
- My M76 does NOT like the 50s Yugo surplus :puke:, although, my FN49 eats it up fine (and accurate).
- 70s Romy is okay and I see it's back in a few places for a ridiculous .60+c/rd.
- NEVER use the old Turkish. Bolt gun ammo only !!!
- Can't say about the 80's Yugo surplus but I've heard it's fine
- I've heard the old Iranian (50s) and Persian (30s) is dud-central!

Now if you went with a 30-06 you could get two lifetime's supply of Greek HXP from the CMP for .50c/rd. Oh and ya ought to get a Garand while your at it. It would, after all, be the "American" thing to do.

Another good ammo search engine. http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php I like this one because you can sort by all columns

·
Registered
227 Posts
I too stocked up on the M75 sniper rounds. However I am having trouble with mine. I have the 8mm version from AWO. It is on the lowest gas setting and it still rips the rims off the cases when trying to extract them. The cases then remain in the barrel and are almost impossible to remove. AWO informed me to not use the M75 and strictly use privi. I just ordered some to try it out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cant use M75? That's nonsense. Probably a Green Mountain aftermarket barrel with a tight chamber. Probably just needs to be reemed and polished.

·
Registered
384 Posts
FMJ. unless you're hunting.but you better go to the range and test that soft point ammunition. Old Milsurp Semi autos are not designed to use soft point hunting ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too stocked up on the M75 sniper rounds. However I am having trouble with mine. I have the 8mm version from AWO. It is on the lowest gas setting and it still rips the rims off the cases when trying to extract them. The cases then remain in the barrel and are almost impossible to remove. AWO informed me to not use the M75 and strictly use privi. I just ordered some to try it out.

Auzie,Is your m76 a recent build from awo?this is not what I wanted to hear about awo rifles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FMJ. unless you're hunting.but you better go to the range and test that soft point ammunition. Old Milsurp Semi autos are not designed to use soft point hunting ammo.

Thanks for the quick reply GS455!i have seen numerous threads on magazine issues with these rifles,is this something I need to be concerned about?

·
Super Moderator
25,766 Posts
This. M75 ammo was designed to use specifically with the M76. This doesn't bode well for the AWO build quality.
I agree. Yugo M75 is some of the best 8mm milsurp out there. Take it to a gunsmith, and have it checked out.

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
The M76 has a three position gas valve as you know. This restricts the gas flow. Unless the valve was opened up by drilling etc., or something amiss in the recoil spring or a tight or nicked chamber.., or headspace issue. I do not know otherwise what could cause that case tearing.
IIRC the #1 setting should be about .080" gas port opening.
You should just barely be able to get a 5/64 drill bit to fit in that #1 port.
Test fit a case or cartridge in the chamber and give it a tap and see if it starts to bind.
Inspect the chamber face, the brass, primers etc.
Need more investigation.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Auzie, did you ever get this sorted?

From the AWO website:

***PLEASE NOTE*** We recommend new surplus ammo 196 - 200 grain for this rifle.
I stil want one of these, and Auzie's M76 is a beauty to behold, but with all the reported issues with AWO rifles I'm starting to think I'd be better-off picking-up a used Century build and be prepared to refinish it if necessary.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Once again ..... That's a bunch of crap. M75 ammo was specifically manufactured for the M76. No 1950s Yugo? Okay. Turk 8mm? Bolt guns only. To say the rifle should not use the ammo that it's national military namesake specified for it sounds more like a problem of the SECOND builder of the rifle - pfffff - not the proper design. Good grief.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts