AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
So the bug bit me and I want to get a AK pistol. I have seen the Pap or at least pictures of it. I know there are others on the market. So is one better or to be preferred over the other? Can someone school me up on these things?

Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
650 Posts
For the price, the PAP M92 in 7.62 or M85 in .223/5.56 is the best deal right. If you search, you can find M85 mags for $20 each sometime. They were blown out for $9.95 in Dec by JG Sales. M92s take regular AK mags. The Hellpup is also low priced, but I recommend to change out the FCG on the Hellpup and also check the bullet guide for sharp edges. They can jam with HP ammo if the bullet guide is not smoothed on the edge properly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have experience with nearly all the AK pistols in 7.62x39 that have come out over the last few years besides the Polish Hellpup. I recommend the Mini Draco but they are nearly impossible to find and are very expensive. 2nd I recommend the MPAP 92. It is brand new production, well constructed shorter then a regular sized Draco (and Polish Hell Pup I assume) and has a better balance overall. They are a great pick up at the prices listed for them lately. I felt I had a bargain when I got one of the first ones for nearly $600, and still dont regret that purchase.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Some choices I have some experience with.

Romanian Draco.

One would have to find one on the second hand market. Some exhibit "colorful" Romanian craftsmanship. Me and some buddies ordered 3, when they came in 2 were fine, one had badly canted front and rear sight bases. Member Justinmcmillion is bringing a reproduction of the correct for an early AIMR buttstock. This is really exciting and makes the Draco a lot more interesting to me.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/166256-romanian-aimr-stock-us-copy-original.html

PAP Series.

I have an M85. This would be my first pick right now. Still easily available. Fantastic price. (How much were just the kits a couple years ago?) Good Zastava quality.

Dawg180 has some cool products for this weapon available, and some on the way....

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/99...rearm-handguard-yugo-m92-m85-pap-pistols.html

Member Ctrax makes nice faux cans for this weapon as well if you want to "carbine" it without a stamp.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/35...08-wts-zastava-faux-silencer.html#post1543277

Arsenal SAM7K

Widely recognized in the...

This thing is undeniably posh. But suffers from a number of cons. Expensive. Heavier (the price you pay if you want milled.) Fake muzzle device. Backwards ass thumb safety switch. (The double the cost of the other choices price would be completely worth it if the thumb switch worked in a logical manner [i.e. foward for fire,] but it doesn't.) KVAR will probably never bring in the appropriate side folder, or if they do they will probably charge half a grand (sadly no exaggeration.)

One Pro - Rear peep sight.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Another option either available now is the C39 Micro AK Pistol.

Really kind of neat. Milled. Ultra short. Nice rear sight with integrated picatinny rail. Overall, very similar to the Mini Draco Lord AK-47 speaks highly of a few posts above.

Shit! It even has an American flag on the side of the receiver.

Atlantic has them.

C39 Micro AK Pistol

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/72-kalashnikov-pistols/167997-c39-micro-ak-pistol-milled.html

(Sure the handguard is gross... Someone will come up with something to replace it.) If I didn't need another AK pistol like I need a hole in my head (see above) I'd pick one up.

Reactions: elmoreoocyte

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cheap-Pap
Nicer-arsenal stamped
Very nice -sam7

·
Registered
650 Posts
The C39 Century milled AK pistol is interesting, just wondering what's the barrel material....

Also, the PAP pistols will accept handguards specific to the Yugo AK SMG M92/M85, while the Hellpup will take normal AK furniture.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was just going to start a thread on here asking the about the same question. I had a Draco pistol and sold it.(kicking myself ever since) so now I'm wanting to add an ak pistol back to the collection, but I can't find any Dracos at reasonable prices. But just yesterday I found a yugo m92 for $550 new in the box and was considering it. I have had several aks but never a yugo I always stuck with chrome barrels and was wondering if it was worth it or if I should hold out for a chrome barrel, or should I get the m92?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Paps have a tendency to have canted sights. But we have also fixed Arsenal canted sights. Dont care for most Yugo stuff, just seems off to me. The M92s arent terrible, def dont like the M85 bulged trunnion. Chrome lined is a plus but how many rounds are you really going to put through an AK pistol?

·
1,092 Posts
My favorite by far is the Draco Pistol, but they are expensive now..

In the current market I would buy a PAP pistol, the Sam7k is really nice but if you have no inkling to SBR it the PAP will do the same thing at half the price.

Regardless 7.62x39 should be you choice of caliber, it really shines versus the other 2 in these barrel lengths.

Justin

·
Registered
168 Posts
More Affordable - PAP. I have the PAP and the SAM 7K and consider them similar in quality.
I personally dont like the Sam7. I do have 2 m92s. I have had a 106 pistol. I feel the fit and finish is cosmetically better on the milled, also feels much nicer being milled out of a block :D

I do me affordable, or inexpensive, I get crap all the time for saying cheap, when I don't mean cheap.

yesterday I found a yugo m92 for $550 new in the box and was considering it. I have had several aks but never a yugo I always stuck with chrome barrels and was wondering if it was worth it or if I should hold out for a chrome barrel, or should I get the m92?
These are all over the net for 400-440$ shipped. 3 weeks ago they were 399 shipped with 2 BHO mags and 3 tapco.
Don't pay $550 for one. also ctrax (spelling maybe off) makes a fake can if you want to make it an under folder until the stamp comes back. Also turbothis is here and can mill out the receiver and trunnion in place.

For about 650$ you can get very very close to a factory built m92 UF

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a Century Arms (...yeah i know) Draco. its a great shooter BUT i did have to remove a burr from the hammer which was causing failures to fire. after a 15 minute fix it shoots like a champ. Century has a well deserved rep for horrendous quality control and workmanship but its my understanding that pistols(such as the Draco) since they are not subject to 922 laws may be imported into this country without any further mods being necessary and are thus spared from Century's "craftsmanship"

·
Registered
938 Posts
922r does not apply to pistols, but for some reason Century likes to put Tapco G2 trigger parts in Dracos. Replace the Tapco with an original Romanian parts set and you are good to go.

The Polish "Hellpup" pistols imported by IO are the next best thing to a Draco.... it's best to avoid any of the "U.S. Made" AK's IO puts together themselves though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks Irierider, I hadn't checked prices of m92's on the net recently, prices dropped since I last checked them out. I like the looks of the m92 but I have never had any yugo sks's or ak's, and this is where I'm having trouble because I would prefer to have a Draco honestly if only for the chrome lined barrel. But then there are I.O. Hellpup pistols which I think are supposed to be chrome lined also, but I haven't heard many good reviews on them and would really like to know more about them and if they have got any better with the newer batches? Just wanting some honest opinions, and I realize that non chrome barrels are fine but I'm looking for more of a beater gun and I like the benefits of chrome lined barrels. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
J&G has Micro Draco's right NOW .....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts