AK Rifles banner

Which one should I get first incase the unspeakable was to happen?

• WASR Underfolder (SHTF go to/beater)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pre-89 Norinco AK47S (collection peice/prized shooter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I had plans of getting one of the underfolder WASR's as my beater/SHTF go to AK and having a Norinco AK47S to go along with my AK84S. With the current election coming up I'm a little worried about all the prices going through the roof before I get both. Also this whole Georgia and Russia BS isn't to settling to say the least. Since I'm trying to pay off my bike as soon as possible I won't be able to get both right away. I may be paranoid but which would you guys say I should get first?

Any help would be great....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Go with the Norinco. Great quality AK and drying up. The WASR in my honest opinion is a peice of junk (WASR stands for What A Shitty Rifle). The WASRs are also much more availiable and will be for a long time. Go with the Norinco, you will not regret it!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PinkPanther said:
Go with the Norinco. Great quality AK and drying up. The WASR in my honest opinion is a peice of junk (WASR stands for What A Shitty Rifle). The WASRs are also much more availiable and will be for a long time. Go with the Norinco, you will not regret it!
My dad has a WASR and it's surprising accurate. It's never miss fired or had an issue what so ever. It's not exactly the prettiest thing but it does its job. That's why I was thinking about the WASR10 underfolder as my SHTF rifle. It can serve the purpose as a full size rifle but be more concealable when needed. And I definitely wouldn't worry about it getting scratched up.

The Norinco is great and all...but I'm still on the fence between which to get first....*sigh*

·
Registered
703 Posts
Norinco hands down :smileak:

I have a WASR10 and it's pretty good but it's a hit or miss. You will find a lot with cantid sights and a lot of them don't like eating SP or HP ammo. The rifle was originaly made for a single stack magazine. So they used some type of dremial to ream out the magazine well to except double stacks. This wasn't the most Sceintific way and resulted in magazines wells that would wobble. My WASR10 does fine but has a small wobble to it. Personaly, I wouldn't mistake a beater rifle with a SHTF rifle either. I finnaly saved up some money and picked up a Milled Arsenal AK and wouldn't trade it for the world. That is my SHTF rifle, it doesn't care if I feed it SP, HP, or FMJs....just as long as it gets fed :animak:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Go with the Norinco, or better yet a Polytech if you can get one. For the $$ you get a thicker reciever (1.5mm) AK-47 barrel (heavier/thicker). The entire rifle was made by a country that was producing AKs for it's military and was not subject to 922R or the monkeys at century (welding gas pistons to bolt carriers, canted sights, floppy magwells, etc.). I would use my chicom AKs for SHTF hands down, no questions, no worries. IMHO, yes they are that good. :grin:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I owned a WASR once and I got a bad one. Try to find a SAR or one of the other early Romy imports.

·
Registered
927 Posts
?

save your money for either a pre ban feg hungarian or a pre ban steyr maadi - if you purchase anything else you will still catch yourself looking at these two ak's

and i even have one of them :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Indiansprings said:
-Todd- said:
Indiansprings said:
-Todd-":53nx403l]For the price of a wasr you could get a yugo underfolder.[/quote] $439 on Henderson website. That is a smoken deal.[/quote] link?[/quote] [url="http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/defense/web/sale.php said:
http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/defense/web/sale.php[/url][/quote:53nx403l]

Damn I paid $500 for mine last month. :evil:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd like to have a Maadi, it'll look really nice with my bakelite mags I've got. But I prefer the feel and smoothness of a Norinco or Polytech. So yea....unless I find a smokin' deal on a Maadi I'll stick to a Norinco for now. That way I'll truly be satisfied

·
Registered
375 Posts
for a shtf rifle get a mak-90. about same price give or take a few $$ as a wasr.getting any weapon with a track record as a wasr that you might need to protect your life with is totally wrong. you have to ask yourself "what'my life worth"

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
442 rocket said:
for a shtf rifle get a mak-90. about same price give or take a few $$ as a wasr.getting any weapon with a track record as a wasr that you might need to protect your life with is totally wrong. you have to ask yourself "what'my life worth"
Well I know I'd use my dads WASR without a doubt. It's never had a single misfire or anything to that nature. Hell I was flipping water bottles at 60yards every shot with it. So that alone should be accurate enough for me to defend myself against whoever.

But I'll most likely go for the pre-89 Norinco. I might pick up a post-ban Maadi to restore to its original glory if I can ever get around to it. I've got alot on my plate right now. From paying off my bike, to restoring my KX250, and getting my Blaster back running. So I'm stretched a little thin, I'll have enough for one rifle and some ammo. I don't need 2 rifles and no ammo. The 3k rounds of ammo I have put back will only last so long when I get a new rifle.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Currently I'm thinking about getting a milled AK or a Maadi, Romy WUM or SAR to create a Russian AKM clone or a MAK and make a spiker out of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a WASR, love it. It's as accurate and dependable as my girfriend's Saiga. I was able to hand pick it though, I wouldn't buy a WASR sight-unseen.

If you go with a WASR, get one of the recent batch. The QC is way up on those. Except for no dimples, I've seen WASRs recently that could compare with most other AK's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts