AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a side view pic of a milled receiver or stub showing the location of the slot for the sling swivel? Building a Russian and a Bulgarian and don't have anything to measure from.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Hi Dean-
This is a stub from a Bulgarian T3, with a factory cut slot.

There's some swivel wear on the ends, so that width measurement is from the middle of the slot.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Richard you just made my day! You are a good man, couldn't have done better with a Russian blueprint!! I am heading to the garage to do some layout work.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I've got a couple receivers that need to be slotted, too.

If you have any tips about how you do it, I'd be interested to hear them.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
i got a 1/8" milling bit. the corners would rounded though....
i might be able to get a smaller bit and then file square.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a simple job really, did mine today and it took about an hour. I laid out the slot on the receiver including a vertical centerline. Put punch marks for drilling with a small sharp tipped center punch. I drilled a hole at each end of the slot and a few in between using the tip of a center drill (receiver is thin). I filed out the material between a couple of the holes with a small round Swiss file. Then switched to a small rectangular file. Doesn't take long to file it out and square up the corners nicely.

The slot needs to be about .090" wide for the sling swivel to go in with a thumb press fit.

Once you spread the tabs inside you can go in through the selector hole and drive them down nice and flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts