AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I guess this is my first post so nice to meet you guys. Got a few questions. First off I just bought 2 polish underfolder kits from dans ammo_Only to realize that in michigan the state I live they have a 30in minimum length on rifles when folded. I cant remember what it measured but its not even close. If I were to build them as a uf' I would have to go down and register them as pistols and have them safety inspected. I dont want to do that if at all possible. So My questions are this .

1. Rear trunnion- What type do I need the single or double and where would be the best place to get them?

2. The stock- Where is the best place to find this and would they need to be modified to work with the above mentioned trunnion.

3. If I were to build one as a uf could I put on a different muzzle brake and weld it to get the length I need? If so what type? A ak74?

My handguards are of the darker kind, laminated. I would like to match them if possible. I found a stock but its like $70 is that a good price? Or are there places that have a better price?

Sorry so many questions. Any hekp apreciated.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
ssmoore said:
Hello, I guess this is my first post so nice to meet you guys. Got a few questions. First off I just bought 2 polish underfolder kits from dans ammo_Only to realize that in michigan the state I live they have a 30in minimum length on rifles when folded. I cant remember what it measured but its not even close. If I were to build them as a uf' I would have to go down and register them as pistols and have them safety inspected. I dont want to do that if at all possible. So My questions are this .

1. Rear trunnion- What type do I need the single or double and where would be the best place to get them?

2. The stock- Where is the best place to find this and would they need to be modified to work with the above mentioned trunnion.

3. If I were to build one as a uf could I put on a different muzzle brake and weld it to get the length I need? If so what type? A ak74?

My handguards are of the darker kind, laminated. I would like to match them if possible. I found a stock but its like $70 is that a good price? Or are there places that have a better price?

Sorry so many questions. Any hekp apreciated.

Thanks Steve
Hello Steve.

On question 1, I am not sure what youmean by single or double.
Any rear trunnion from a fixed stock stamped rifle will work.
Romanian trunnions are easy to find right now and will do fine.

You can get a trunnion at any of the usual places.
K-var, Global Trades for new ones.
Not sure whre to find a used one other than the various for sale boards.

Why not post your UF trunion and stock as a trade for trunnion and butt.
I am sure you will find someone to trade with.

One other thing, you can also use a trunnion for an AK74 if you fine one.
There are only minor differences between and AKM and AK74 trunnion.

Question 2. To find a new one the only place I know of is Winslow Armory.
From the price you posted on the one you found it seem like you may know about them.

There will only need to be a fitting issue for the butt as they are new.
The butt will fit any rear trunnion for a stamped rec.

As for question 3, I do not know what the particulars of MI law is regarding the length, so I'll leave that to someone else.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
On the question of single or double I think hes referring to tangs,the stamped rifle takes a single AKM trunnion.You can use any European rear trunnion,I'd use a Romanian for a stamped reciever.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Here you go. I am also a resident of the fine state of Michigan, and whereas this state is rather firearm friendly, we do have some additional restrictions that must be adhered to. You are referencing the short barreled rifle [hence SBR] ruling. 30+ inches, no problem 30-26 inches, is considered a pistol. [requires permit to purchase, registration and safety inspection at the local law enforcement bureau] 26 and below, considered a SBR no ownership that I can tell. Rifle barrels must be 16+, shotguns 18+. Thats how I read it, here is the actual text. see page 135. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
AS a side note to the post above, our current attorney general has made a ruling on ownership of class 3 weapons. Before the had to be a C&R. Now the state recognizes the federal qualifications. Maybe someday they will also do the same with SBRs. I have tried to find a more recent set of laws as the one listed above is dated 2003, but thus far, no luck. Good luck on your project. I too am going to build my Polish as a fixed stock, [with a stock set I bought from Johno!] I really do not want to go through the hassle of trying to explain to the local PD as to the origin of my home built side folder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea that law sucks I think we are one of the only states with that. I would like to keep one of them as a underfolder if possible. I already have a polytech legend I bought a few days ago thats a full stock. I wonder if instaling a ak74 break will get me to the 30in minimum.

So if I understand you All I need is the upper trunnion. There nothing to hold the stock on the bottom? I guess I will get that stuff ordered. Thanks for the replys.

Steve

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
ssmoore said:
Yea that law sucks I think we are one of the only states with that. I would like to keep one of them as a underfolder if possible. I already have a polytech legend I bought a few days ago thats a full stock. I wonder if instaling a ak74 break will get me to the 30in minimum.

So if I understand you All I need is the upper trunnion. There nothing to hold the stock on the bottom? I guess I will get that stuff ordered. Thanks for the replys.

Steve
There is no lower mount on a stamped rifle, only on the milled ones.

You could weld/pin the folder open ( I assume) and have the look of the folder a la AWB. Sucks to be in MI, for so many reasons. . . :razz:

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I originally had a plan to weld on a Tantal break on which is 14x1.0 thread. [Standard AKM] I scored 2 from Hotbarrel when he ran the batch. If you were to use an original Tantal break you would have to drill it out to 7.62 specs, which Hotbarrel did when he made them. I Installed the break I'm speaking of on a Rommy and it was at 28 1/2 " from the rear of the receiver to the end of the break. Whatever you do, it needs to be considered permanent. Search the build sections for the AMD 65, they had a barrel shorter than 16" so that made them too short int the eyes of the Feds. Those ended up using barrel extensions if I'm not mistaken, never built one myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said screw it and ordered 2 stocks from winslow armory. Thanks for the help. Fury the biggest one is the weather. But I dont think I would like living in fla in the summer either.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
ssmoore said:
I said screw it and ordered 2 stocks from winslow armory. Thanks for the help. Fury the biggest one is the weather. But I dont think I would like living in fla in the summer either.
I actually don't mind the summers, 'cause everyone from MI goes home! :wink:

I've actually never even been there, but half of MI is in Naples right now.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Order a rear trunnion from one of the AK parts houses like Global Trades or K-Var. A Romanian or Bulgarian one will work just fine.

Winslow Armory has the Polish laminated fixed stock you're looking for...http://www.winslowarmory.com

G

·
From what Michigan guys told me you don't have to permanently affix the brake to meet the law in Michigan. That's just what the guys at the AR15.com MI HTF kept telling me. Even with an AK-74 type brake on your underfolder it doesn't bring it to a length where you would not need the pistol registration. I went through all of this when I planned to have a Polish underfolder built but I will be moving back to Michigan in under 3 years and wanted to make sure I could own it.

Didn't want to deal with the hassle so I bought everything to make it a full stock rifle. Had too much going on for that build to be completed and decided to trim down my AK collection and sell some kits and rifles.

You can easily sell your underfolder stock and trunnion to recover the cost of the stocks.

krinkfreak ended up with my Polish kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I went ahead and bought the fixed stocks from winslow. Thanks for the help guys. Now to finish getting them built..

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts