AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a guy find some coal for tinkering around with a forge in arkansas? Got everything else just need some coal. Called around to a few places but they acted like it was unobtainium. Theres got to be someplace in central arkansas that sells 50lb sacks of coal. Anybody know?

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Why not use a bag of charcoal like for bar b q'ing?
I don't think it gets hot enough for the period of time needed to use in a forge.

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
I'm sure Santa will be bringing you some here shortly... :twisted:

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Mid America Mining in Hartford, West Arkansas

479-639-2291
479-639-2518

Local power plants and foundrys, another source

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could always get a sack and walk the train tracks that go to a power plant. Usually tons of stuff on the ground that falls off the rail cars.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your probably right trader10g! I have thought about the train track option but i want to go to the store and get it.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
If you can't find coal just use charcoal. $50 per 50lbs is insane. You can get good hard anthracite bagged coal for $200/ton or loose for $120/ton. You'll burn through 50lbs in a few hours with a medium sized blown forge.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah 50 a sack is insane. I've seen 10 bucks around here and there on the net but it was out of state.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Alot of grocery stores have wood charcoal, not the briquets. That type of coal would be period correct. Its about a dollar a pound here in South Florida. Only way to get proper coal here is online. Found this company recently when I was looking for smithing coal. Coal & Coke-Centaur Forge

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
I would honestly look at charcoal as I stated earlier or even a good dry hardwood. You'll burn it quick but its cheap. I used mesquite because its everywhere down here. A handful of chips would but in 3-4 mins with the blower set to medium in a forge made from a set of 14" brake drums.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
just grow a pair...........do a barge inspection next time one is in the lock and get some. fill your pockets. :)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
If you can't find coal just use charcoal. $50 per 50lbs is insane. You can get good hard anthracite bagged coal for $200/ton or loose for $120/ton. You'll burn through 50lbs in a few hours with a medium sized blown forge.

whoa....is this like 10 year-old pricing? 120$ per ton per loose coal? that's impossible. I have been using coal for years, and here, in the center of coal mining where coal is abundant...and readily available, the going rate where you pick it up yourself and shovel it into your transport vehicle is 225$. If you want it delivered add 40$ to that.

bags of course are more expensive, no one really uses them because if you buy loose coal is way cheaper..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Allow me to interject here:

If you are looking to operate a fore with this coal, you'll likely need Metalurgical Grade coal.

Easy to find, but a little more expensive that standard grade coal.

Just my $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
whoa....is this like 10 year-old pricing? 120$ per ton per loose coal? that's impossible. I have been using coal for years, and here, in the center of coal mining where coal is abundant...and readily available, the going rate where you pick it up yourself and shovel it into your transport vehicle is 225$. If you want it delivered add 40$ to that.

bags of course are more expensive, no one really uses them because if you buy loose coal is way cheaper..

Those numbers are a few years old (sinc I left PA)...but the point was that $1/pound of coal is insane.

·
Banned
950 Posts
My friend bought one of those Ben Franklin stoves for his cabin years back. We were out hunting and found some coal on the hillside. Now this is down in Kentucky so coal is easily found when looking for it. Anyway, we put some lumps of coal in the stove and lit it, shut the door. It got so damn hot we had to open all the windows- in the middle of winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts