AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the AK Forum, but when will prices in the AR market get back to pre-December levels. If I ask this question on Arfcom, I'll catch a ton of flack. I really respect the opinions found in this forum. I looking to buy some good quality components and assemble my own lowers. I have no intention of building my own uppers, I'll buy those complete. I have looked a lot at PSA, and I can currently assemble a nice carbine for about $770 with a ten pack of magazines, chromed BCG and a FN barrel. That seems pretty great to me, but I always begin to think that I can do it cheaper if I wait a little longer. I am mainly looking to have these as an investment for the future. It is always nice to have a few ARs around for whatever curve ball gets thrown at us next.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'd like to see where you're coming up with that $770 number with BCG and an FN barrel.... I cant find either of those at a decent price still, most everything else has come back around though.

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
...Damn it. I had a whole thing written up on the difference between the AR market and the AK market then i re-read your post. :doh:

I'm not really in the market for an AR.. but I have seen a few places where parts are becoming more available and rifles are returning to pre-retardation prices. There are a few pockets of insanity left but they're not moving.

For me.. I'm holding off on getting another AR simply because of the ammo situation. I think the market will come down more as the holidays draw closer.. bills to pay and presents to buy. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
My Walmart has Bushmaster ARs for $977 in stock....Our BassPro has tons of .223 on the shelves, this past weekend I purchased 500 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm $26.99/100 and 500 rounds of Remington .45 UMC for $109/250. I bought a Sig 1911 .22 there also and they threw in 100 rounds of .22 LR and sold me an additional 100 for $7. They are limiting .22 to 100 rounds a day. I got 10 Gen2 P-Mags from Brownells for $129. I think in the next 3 months we will be well on our way.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep and these times will not be a blip on your radar.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
With the exceptionof the price of .223 and .22lr ammo, as far as i have seen the matket has come backto pre december 2012 pricing and availabilty more or less. Saigas, veprs, etc are all found fir around or under $1,000. Ar-15s in complete form along withbolt carrierhroups amd barrels are in stock at many places. Glock 17's are available. Ar mags are available for under $15.

Ar lowers can be had for $120 or so, bcgs for under $150, barrels depending on type for $200 to $300, lpks for $70. No clue where you are going to find fn made barrels, have never really seen a source for new ones more than grey market supply in all my years in the ar market.

To me all of those are "normal" market more or less.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Prices are coming down and the FN barrels are becoming available from some manufacturers, in my recent shopping I have seen them a couple of places. That being said you say you would want these for future investment purposes. If so I suggest you buy a complete rifle from Colt...or if not Colt one of the larger quality manufacturers....a complete rifle from a respected company will always bring a bigger return on resale then a put together job. Colt is still the winner in the AR esale market.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BadBrad, that is a very good point. Its just hard to buy a Colt 6920 for $1200 or more when I can put a copy together completely by myself for $7xx. But I guess that there is a lot of brand appeal, especially in a resale situation.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm working for a LGS helping him at the local gun shows, & I can assure you there is no shortage of cheap AR's. We have been selling nice DPMS guns with quad rails, & cheap red dots for $789. There doesn't seem to be much demand for AK's, & we only sold 1Yugo under folder this weekend for $750. GARY

·
Registered
314 Posts
On the retail market ARs are pretty much back to normal. Basically about the same price as pre-panic and supply is abundant. The secondary market is interesting to watch. Lots of folks trying to sell ARs for what they paid for them 6 months ago plus a hand-full of folks selling at about the new retail price or just slightly below. Have not seen a lot of "too good to pass up" deals just yet but I know they are coming.

Parts seem to not quite come done to pre-panic prices. LPKs seem to be running $70 or so instead of the $50-$55 they were 18 months ago. Stripped lowers are still around $100 versus the $69 deals that were plentiful the last few years. At this point it actually seems to be cheaper to buy rather than build. I think is will be another 6-9 months before this changes just to the pre-paid back-order some of the parts vendors have.

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Rotdorn said:
My Walmart has Bushmaster ARs for $977 in stock....Our BassPro has tons of .223 on the shelves, this past weekend I purchased 500 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm $26.99/100 and 500 rounds of Remington .45 UMC for $109/250. I bought a Sig 1911 .22 there also and they threw in 100 rounds of .22 LR and sold me an additional 100 for $7. They are limiting .22 to 100 rounds a day. I got 10 Gen2 P-Mags from Brownells for $129. I think in the next 3 months we will be well on our way.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep and these times will not be a blip on your radar.
Barry,

Which Sig did you pick up? I bought this one from Buds last Friday and it should be here today.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... ip+Black+F

If you haven't heard of CW accessories LLC, you should check them out.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Mine looks just like that except for the grips. I will have to check that supplier out.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Boom! just picked up 500 rnds of 22LR for $19.79! :bd:

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'm thinking the market is going to drop a notable amount below pre December. People got their fill combined with others looking to unload their impulse purchases.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was also thinking that that might be a possibility also. Combined with the increased production over the last year and less demand, I have been thinking that there will be a noticeable drop

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I have been using gunbot.net and sneaking up on 22LR in the last 24 hours I have bought 2,050 rounds for an average of .04 ea. Shop smart!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I actually found 2 bricks of .22 ammo at my local shop. First time in 7 months I have seen .22 on the shelf!

Being in a state that will require background checks/registry to buy ammo in coming months, ammo is still scarce and will continue to be.

They also busted a guy locally that knew when and where ammo supply was going to local shops. He would basically be at the one store when ammo showed up, he would buy it all up (mostly .22 ammo), then follow the truck to the other stores and buy it all up there. He was then putting on gunbroker/local paper and selling for 2x-3x as much. I don't think he was charged with anything but they have his photo with a "Do Not Sell Ammo" in some local sporting stores now and many have gotten smart with limiting ammo per customer.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Starting to see more common calibers available at the walmart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts