AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are a few photos of plum furniture from late in the Afghan campaign, and I think I remember someone on this forum saying they “we” really first became aware of them when the Soviet Union was imploding and they had the coup attempt with soldiers on the streets etc with plum AKs and all the media there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few photos of plum furniture from late in the Afghan campaign, and I think I remember someone on this forum saying they “we” really first became aware of them when the Soviet Union was imploding and they had the coup attempt with soldiers on the streets etc with plum AKs and all the media there.
What year were the Afghan photos from? Also, are there any pics from the coup?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve found one online of a Russian soldier with plum furniture in Afghanistan and I’d bet some guys in here who know way more then me may have possibly seen others. Again, more knowledgeable folks can correct me, but I think They started making the switch from wood to plum in mid 1985

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you mean more commonly used in Afghanistan or just produced in general? If it’s the former, the overwhelming majority were laminated wood. If it’s total production, I honestly have no idea, but conseiderinf they produced wood through 1985 and then plum from 1985-1990, maybe more laminated wood were produced in total. Does any one else know?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Do you mean more commonly used in Afghanistan or just produced in general? If it’s the former, the overwhelming majority were laminated wood. If it’s total production, I honestly have no idea, but conseiderinf they produced wood through 1985 and then plum from 1985-1990, maybe more laminated wood were produced in total. Does any one else know?
Basically both, but I was initially interested in total production.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On the cover of “The Bear Went Over The Mountain” there is an AKS-74 with plum furniture. Not sure if the photo is actually from the war or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts