AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me your methods or tools for flat head rivets on the outside of the receiver. I think rivet lenght is the first big key to a nice looking uniform flat rivet. Can anyone suggest how much rivet lenght should be sticking out of the receiver ? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Are you talking about the flat head on short rivets? (like the type traditionally found on the Russian/Bulgarian side-folders?) ...or are you talking about making a flat head on a through (long) rivet?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for both long and short rivets for side folder builds. All i have are round head rivets of US manufacture and they seem to be a little long. My problem is i havent experimented enough to get the proper rivet length and technique. Im working on getting some scrap metal and an old trunnion. Looking for tips right now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
rivet

Standard protrusion before smashing is 1.5 times diameter. This could prove to be a tad short though if your rivet has to swell into the hole as with the long rear trunnion rivets.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Filing is the way a lot of people do it. For the short rivets though, I have a piece of 1/2" steel plate that I drilled rivet diameter hole into. I drop a rivet into that hole, take a punch + hammer and flatten the rivet head. Instant flat head rivet.

For the long rivet (round on one side, flat on the other) I have a jig. If the pancake is thicker than what you'd like, I would just take a file and shave some off the top.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I just hit the round heads with the bench grinding wheel after riveting,makes for a nice uniform flat head.once the finish is applied,you would never know it was done like that gotta.gotta have a steady hand tho..LOL

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Satatic said:
I go steady steady hit! Then repeat a few times and finish with a file.

Same for me, not hard at all.

Hammer until the diameter of the head looks right, then file with a mill bastard until the height or thickness of the head looks right.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
bamaak said:
Satatic said:
I go steady steady hit! Then repeat a few times and finish with a file.

Same for me, not hard at all.

Hammer until the diameter of the head looks right, then file with a mill bastard until the height or thickness of the head looks right.
True mud-hut smithing. I love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts