AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your first upgrade when you acquire another AK? Optics? Trigger? Furniture?

For me it's refinishing. A rifle looks a lot better with a fresh coat job and some refinished wood.

So what say you?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I dont like Tapco'd rifles but the look of the finish is completely irrelevant to me. In fact I prefer used, that way I dont care if I put a scratch in it.

First thing is to test fire. If it works I leave it alone. And I try to buy them the way I want them in the first place, that way I dont have to do anything but load and shoot

·
Premium Member
13,386 Posts
I hunt down at least one original magazine and original bayonet...refinish some furniture but prefer not to if possible.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My main thing would be the FCG.then it depends on the rifle, the NHM91 got a Russian RPK stock set etc with some 40 rounders and drums.
My daughters got an arsenal SGL 21 each with shock absorbing adjustable stocks and front grips.mine is my first AK and it has an old beat up wood stockset because I don't care about that but I did put away the nice wood set because this rifle will go to my son.
My wife's has a nice plum set.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My Chinese AK has all the parts which were on it when it was made, and only those parts. There was no need to fiddle with it and there weren't any useful additions at the time anyway.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like to upgrade my AKs with another AK, then I upgrade that with another, then after about 20 of those, I need to upgrade to another safe. Then I need to fill it. In this market, I buy more than I shoot. In lulls I shoot and buy random things, PGs, lights, optics, Etc. Right now every time i look at a good add on, I end up buying a goo priced yugo, or another pistol.

I have spending issues I think. I blame my damn understanding wife.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Chinese AK has all the parts which were on it when it was made, and only those parts. There was no need to fiddle with it and there weren't any useful additions at the time anyway.
I understand. My MAK already had the butthole stock swapped out so I really didn't need to touch the rifle at all.

I have spending issues I think. I blame my damn understanding wife.
Ive always thought that you had. ;) But what the point of having money if you don't spend it on what you like?

And yes, you wife seems very cool and supportive. Consider yourself lucky in that department.

·
Registered
22,629 Posts
Sell it and buy an AR-15 :peep: Just kidding.

Usually get a muzzle break and a retaining plate... but I haven't bought an AK in awhile.. I've been focusing on quality over quantity.

I kinda wanna get another AK-103 side-folder and deck it out with a T1/Ultimak combo, Primary Arms ACSS 1-6 scope, Ronin grip and a muzzle break/flash hider combo... but that money tree I planted just hasn't grown yet... gosh darnit!

Pardon m' language.

·
Registered
200 Posts
First thing is to replace the pistol grip with a Houge one. Then a retainer plate, polish hammer and trigger, get a good brake, usually done in the first week. Then side scope mount and a nice red dot. Stock change out ......... Jeez I gotta stop this !

1-350x262 #8.jpg

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Practice first, then you will know what you need. The Hogue grip is a great idea as is smoothing out your FCG.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Practice first, then you will know what you need. The Hogue grip is a great idea as is smoothing out your FCG.
And that's just it. The AK doesn't need much upgrading. I guess that's why refinishing is my first thing to do.

·
Registered
303 Posts
No upgrades for me really, I just shoot as is. I do like side rail optics though.

Some of you seem to really like the retainer plates, any advantage with these other than ease of install, removal?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Good choices. It's nice to see people prefer shooters over collecting.
I'm in the middle- I'm definitely, definitely a collector.. but a gun was made to shoot. I think it is a crime to spend all that money and build an AK just to keep it in the safe, but that's just me (I can definitely understand certain guns). I shoot my WWII handguns too, that's what they were made for!

Only problem recently is I have been going through an accessories phase:

It's cool stuff, but at the end of the day that is money I woulda gotten much more enjoyment out of if I used it for ammo/upgrades

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice Fiorentino. I really need to catch up on my accessories. It seems like its always the same old pattern: new gun, ammo...new gun, ammo...new gun, ammo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Within a week I replaced all the furniture. ATI full kit. Feels very nice and I love the folding adjustable stock.

e9mq.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly? The quilt was made by a family friend 30 years ago. All but the patterned pieces of corduroy came from pants I wore in the 70s in grade school. lol Feel free to taunt and bully. That is what happened back then and made my character stronger. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts