AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an Izhevsk AK-74 bayonet with a pin through the barrel ring. Looks factory to me, as the pin is nicely ground flush with the outside of the ring and coated in the same paint the factory uses on these things.

What is going on here?

WP_20131211_001.jpg

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Weird...never seen anything like that before. I'm guessing it was put there to keep it from being mounted to a rifle.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
Weird...never seen anything like that before. I'm guessing it was put there to keep it from being mounted to a rifle.
That is what I was thinking. Maybe intended to be worn only and not attached to a rifle for who knows why...defects maybe?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't hold me to this but I remember reading somewhere that this was done in england or europe where they were not allowed bayonets mounted to rifles or it was done to the bayonets that cane with de-acted kits something along those lines if I come across it again I will post a link.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take a look at the press stud and see if the catch inside the mortise has also been ground away. Like schultze, my memory is a bit hazy, however, I think these were demilled prior to export from Russia. These were among the first true black (as opposed to plum colored) Russian AK74 bayonets to come west.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'd say alternate way to deac. More deac freindly in my opinion for countries that allow normal functioning bayos wink wink

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, I've had an Ak-74M bayo that was deactivated like that. Latch still fully working so I grinded out the pin and it worked completly again :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The AK74 bayonets with this type of deactivation were sold in Russia as hunting knives. I am sure other coutntries allowed them as imports to for the same purpose. Please refer to my book "KALASHNIKOV BAYONETS A COLLECTORS GUIDE" by Martin D. Ivie

MDI13

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
The AK74 bayonets with this type of deactivation were sold in Russia as hunting knives. I am sure other coutntries allowed them as imports to for the same purpose. Please refer to my book "KALASHNIKOV BAYONETS A COLLECTORS GUIDE" by Martin D. Ivie

MDI13
Great info, thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! The man speaks!

Thanks Mr. Ivie.

Are these any more/less collectable than a regular AK-74 bayonet?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Here's what Martin D. Ivie writes about this type of bayonet:

"There have been at least two theories as to why these were made this way. The first theory is that they were made for issue with the AKSU short-barreled assault rifles, which have no provision for mounting a bayonet. The second, and more probable, theory is that they were produced for sale to the general public and for export as hunting knives. The pinned muzzle ring no longer makes them a bayonet, and there they are no longer a military item restricted from sale to the public or export. Other than the pinned muzzle ring, there are only some minor differences in this bayonet and the bayonet in Figure 144."

Note: The bayonet in Figure 144 is a standard black AK-74 6X5 model.

Phil

·
Registered
866 Posts
Phil:

Thanks for taking the time to pull out the actual quote from my book.

MDI13
I love your book. It's my AK bayonet bible. Thank you for putting it together.

It was my first and primary guide to the hobby as I began collecting and dealing in this ultra-cool piece of militaria.

Phil

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
At the time I bought mine, it was the only way I could get a true black AK74/AK74M bayonet. I am glad I didn't remove the pin and kept it as is, especially since I later found a true black AK74/AK74M bayonet. My bet is there are now substantially less of the pinned variation in the US than of the functional bayonet. I would also bet these were manufactured in far smaller quantities than functional bayonets. Having the factory version with the box, with the pin still intact and the blade markings still good, I would value them somewhat higher than the functional bayonets at this point in time. I am sure some would disagree with me.

MDI13

·
Registered
866 Posts
Having the factory version with the box, with the pin still intact and the blade markings still good, I would value them somewhat higher than the functional bayonets at this point in time. I am sure some would disagree with me.

MDI13
I agree completely. These are much rarer than the other variations. I'd pay a premium for one if I could locate a unit for my collection.

Additionally, I bet a lot of people cut out the pin, making them harder to find in their original configuration.

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts