AK Rifles banner

Whats the market look like on a SAR 1?

1K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  MASP7 
#1 ·
Hi All
I have an unfired SAR 1 that has been sitting in my safe for a while. No box but I think I have the target, sling and other stuff that came with it. I am thinking that I might sell it, what is the market like on these now a days?

Thanks
Old Sarge

#5 ·
The problem with the SAR is that it isn't truly "original receiver", it is original Romanian, but not AIM pattern. The SAR-1 guns I have seen are AK-74 pattern, they use a receiver with the AK-74 trigger pin hump and AK-74 style mag dimple, as well as some other cosmetic differences. For a true AIM clone, you'd need a pre-SAR Romanian import, like the 992.

Plus, being de-banned means a lot, and the SAR doesn't have a bayonet lug or threaded muzzle unless you add those things afterwords.

The real market is around $400, maybe less as xcibes said. If you want to sell it, I'd hold out for a few years.

#6 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
The problem with the SAR is that it isn't truly "original receiver", it is original Romanian, but not AIM pattern. The SAR-1 guns I have seen are AK-74 pattern, they use a receiver with the AK-74 trigger pin hump and AK-74 style mag dimple, as well as some other cosmetic differences. For a true AIM clone, you'd need a pre-SAR Romanian import, like the 992.

Plus, being de-banned means a lot, and the SAR doesn't have a bayonet lug or threaded muzzle unless you add those things afterwords.

The real market is around $400, maybe less as xcibes said. If you want to sell it, I'd hold out for a few years.
Honestly, I don't see that particular receiver issue as an issue at all, really. All the US-made receivers are also just about as distant from the actual receivers of the rifles they're representing. Nothing to detracting, regarding that aspect.

#7 ·
rayman1 said:
Honestly, I don't see that particular receiver issue as an issue at all, really. All the US-made receivers are also just about as distant from the actual receivers of the rifles they're representing. Nothing to detracting, regarding that aspect.
I feel the NDS-1 receiver is a better, more accurate representation of the AIM receiver than the SAR-1 receiver is. This is my personal view, I am sure other collectors would disagree... but the external differences (to me) are huge. Again, these are just my feelings and nothing more. Like you said, most people don't look at a 7.62 gun and say "AK-74 TRIGGER HUMPS!" and then walk away because of it.

It is a non-issue to probably 98% of the people who would buy it... I just felt I had to point the receiver thing out. I agree with you that most people see it as a non-issue.

#8 ·
To be honest, the NDS receivers are also not quite correct regarding the receiver dimples and aesthetics for the AIM. That's something that I'd also readily notice on a representative build. But there's certainly not a lot of choices out there and one must use what's available and do the best he/she can.

For what it's worth, I've seen many original Romanian AIM and AIMS rifles in-hand and have noticed not all the dimples are a standard shape. Whether one chooses to use a Romanian SAR-1 for an AIM project or an NDS receiver, the quarks with the aesthetics are just about equally the same for either choice and both are quite adequate.

#9 ·
At least the SAR 1's are built at a real AK factory where honest to goodness military AK's have been built for years. That's preferable to a kit built in the US on a NDS receiver. There are very few builders here who can build an AK to the same tolerences as a real AK factory. Sure, there are a few guys who can build excellent guns, but most builders here are more concerned about how many AK's they can assemble a day, then making a quality in spec AK. I'm sure these quality builders have a huge wait time, while factory built SAR 1's & Maadi's & Chinese MAK's can be found anytime. GARY N4KVE

#12 ·
N4KVE said:
At least the SAR 1's are built at a real AK factory where honest to goodness military AK's have been built for years. That's preferable to a kit built in the US on a NDS receiver. There are very few builders here who can build an AK to the same tolerences as a real AK factory. Sure, there are a few guys who can build excellent guns, but most builders here are more concerned about how many AK's they can assemble a day, then making a quality in spec AK. I'm sure these quality builders have a huge wait time, while factory built SAR 1's & Maadi's & Chinese MAK's can be found anytime. GARY N4KVE

A home builder can do even better quality, though. When I build AKs, I build them for myself, to be the best representation of an original AK I can build. I don't work for profit, or care about anything besides results.

Looking at Stottman's AIM picks and my NDS-1, compared to the SAR... I think the NDS-1 is better. That is just me. YMMV. Since there is no autosear pin, it seems moot/nonsensical to have the extra Y stamp and the right-side reinforcement dimple for it. IMHO.

#13 ·
Rob's reference photos of the AIM are great - but as most folks are confined to the internet, you really need to do a large search of various AIM rifles out there and you'll see slight differences between them. On some, an NDS receiver is similar; on others the Romanian receiver is similar.

#14 ·
Old Sarge said:
Hi All
I have an unfired SAR 1 that has been sitting in my safe for a while. No box but I think I have the target, sling and other stuff that came with it. I am thinking that I might sell it, what is the market like on these now a days?

Thanks
Old Sarge
Recently seen one on gunbroker sell for $ 380 :roll:
Mint condition

#17 ·
It just sucks the market value is so low.
I have been sitting on a Sar1 for months now
It was converted to preban. Has Polish wood on it. Hell even has a polish laminated grip too.
I think its worth $600 shipped and there is no way in hell I am gonna turn it lose for $450.

#19 ·
DrugRunR said:
It was converted to preban. Has Polish wood on it. Hell even has a polish laminated grip too.
I think its worth $600 shipped and there is no way in hell I am gonna turn it lose for $450.
Don't take it personal. This is just payback for all those people who bought Wasr's for $379, & resold them after the election for $700-$800. Once the oil leak gets fixed, the economy gets straightened out, everybody has a job again, & everybody gets their credit card paid off, the Libs will have time to think about another ban & maybe prices will go up again. LOL. GARY N4KVE

#20 ·
That's not really a bad price. Hell, I pay just under $350 for mine new in '99.
My steel has been refinished 3 times (now with GunKote AK Black) and unknown thousands of rounds down the barrel.
My original solid brown stocks still show very little wear too. I did put a matte Arsenal pistol grip, fits me better than the old Century.
I never felt the need to threading the barrel, but have all gear to do it.
For as reliable as the rifle is and how much deer meat it put in my freezer, I'd most likely never sell mine.
It's too bad Century welded the piston and not pinned it in.

#21 ·
DrugRunR said:
Well, that's a little different than a run of the mill SAR. Take the $100 to $150 Polish wood off of it and put the original crappy SAR wood back on it. Then sell it for a little more than an average SAR since it's no-banned. Unfortunately for sellers, the market is down. If you're a buyer, that's a good thing. If you can afford to, pack it away and sell when the market is better. They don't eat much, and as long as you don't have to sell it to eat, you're better off waiting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.