AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the differences between Mitchell and Century Yugo's?

I've been reading about these Mitchell's and they seem to command a higher price, but what is the differences between them and a regular Century build?

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
Everything!

Mitchell imports were completed factory rifles as imported from Yugoslavia. They were new and with the exception of being semi-auto only, close to military spec as possible.

The Century rifle are made from surplus heavily used AK kits. They have a new USA made receiver and barel but used the remain parts from the surplus kits.

While the Century builds can be "serviceable", there is no comparison between the Mitchell imports and the Century build rifles. Mitchell's command the premium because they best to be had.

Hootbro

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mitchell = full blown Yugoslavian built for civilian export, receivers and all... Military finish... top notch.

Century = Monkey job parts kit built in America by... well Monkeys. Not to down play them that much... they can be great builds if you land a good one or can correct any Century Manf. defects.

The Mitchell Yugos came in while that 94 ban shit was going on I believe. There is word that a new deal is being struck by a different company to bring in Serbian built Sporter M70 varants... for the Civilian market. Something similar to what the Russians are doing with Saigas.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's nice to dream, but my budget only permits for a Century build right now! I do like the wood pistol grips on the Mitchell's though!

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
There were some pre-1989 import ban Mitchells' and American Arms Yugo's in the country, usually marked AK-47 or RPK-47. The M90's were sitting in a bonded warehouse when the import ban hit.

Mitchells modded them to ATF spec for the time to be able to sell them.

My underfolder was one of these....it came with the folding stock attached and folded up under the rifle with a really cheesey plastic thumbhole stock, the slant brake was on the rifle but the detent pin was blocked so it wouldn't move, and the original pistol grip was in the box.

There was a time when people could modify the post 89 rifles back to original configuration and ATF didn't have a system in place to regulate it. Springfield Armory sold "accurizing kits" for their G3 and FAL's which included the original flash suppressor, pistol grip and buttstock.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Mitchels

Something I have noticed, and I am not "diss'n" the Mitchel guns, I'd love to own one, but the finish on the military kit parts is a lot smoother and better than on the Mitchels that I have seen.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a friend with a preban Mitchell fixed stock rifle and it's beautiful. I can't believe how nice it looks. On top of that the thing just oozes quality from the finish to the amazing trigger on it.

What's funny to me is that back in the "AK heyday" of the 80's and 90's when you could pick up AK's for $200.00, everone I spoke to kept talking about how crappy the Mitchell Arms were and only get a Polytech.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Tyrvidar said:
Mitchell = full blown Yugoslavian built for civilian export, receivers and all... Military finish... top notch.

Century = Monkey job parts kit built in America by... well Monkeys. Not to down play them that much... they can be great builds if you land a good one or can correct any Century Manf. defects.

The Mitchell Yugos came in while that 94 ban shit was going on I believe. There is word that a new deal is being struck by a different company to bring in Serbian built Sporter M70 varants... for the Civilian market. Something similar to what the Russians are doing with Saigas.
Mitchell guns both pre89 and the post 89 "M-90" have nothing to do with the Clinton Ban of 94. Most were imported prior to the Bush senior importation ban that Templar refers too. As he stated the last ones were caught when the importation ban went into effect and took quite some time for Mitchell to work out the details with the ATF on how to "ban" them for sale thus the "M-90" designation and nueter job. Somewhere I actually have a copy of the court case and judication on the subject. You will see a lot of folks advertise the M-90 as a "preban" gun but it is not a true preban. Most folks confuse the Clinton Ban with the Bush senior ban. Anyways, you won't finder a nicer AK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts