AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an amateur Saiga 12 man. Any help would be appreciated.
I was looking at the new SGL12 shotguns at K-Var. Do these now have a legitimate bolt hold open? The old ones didn't, right?
Also, can someone explain to me what the problem is with getting ahold of the Russian factory made 8 round magazines? Is it import restrictions that have made them so hard to get ahold of or is it some kind of political nonsense the Russians are doing to make them look kindler and gentler? Or are the factory Russian 8 rounders available now? Or will they be?
Also, any info on new features these new SGL12's have that makes them different to the old "Saiga 12s" would be much appreciated!
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
The SGL-1294 comes with the 8rd mag, but cost $1800.00. K-VAR is likely selling the mags seperate on the lower priced 12's
Myself, I would buy the Vepr12 with original Russian tubular buttstock..these were a limited import and can be found for
$1000.00 at AIM Surplus and Classic Firearms. Extra 10rd and 12rd magazines are all over the internet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mainly the differences of the models are similar to their rifles. The add a part charge couple hundred more, add another part or folder and charge another couple. K var did import for a short time, not sure if they still do, a last round bolt hold open model. The 8 round mags are actually not cheap even in Russia. Legion has them for around a Benjamin now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On K-Var's site, the difference between the 12-08 and 12-09 is the foreend rail (it's bolted to the handguard retainer), $113 on K-var for the part alone.
The 12-94 has a real AK101 style sidefolder, but that is a HEFTY price to pay for it.
All three are analogous to the IZ-409 with the standard Saiga gas system and bead site.

All include BHO, which would appear to be the same as a standard unconverted IZ-XXX model and in the same location. I've never heard of them not coming with it, though some folks converting them and selling them may not have included it. Including it on a conversion requires minor modification to the trigger group.

You may be referring to AUTOMATIC bolt hold open - which as far as I know only exists on magwell models like the IZ-433 and its variants (and Vepr 12). These use a slightly different (and slightly more expensive) magazine style than the standard Saiga.

Take a look here at legion USA IZ-108 Saiga 12 LEO edition. This model is analogous to the IZ-108 series rifle that has a "rib" style site system. If you can handle the foreend style, that's a hell of a shotgun for the money - and that rib is removable so that you can do other Saiga-style site conversions (adding rails/HK style sites, etc). That also includes the AK side folder and is, IMHO, more bang for your buck (no pun intended).

Legion's site doesn't mention the BHO but you can see it in the same location by the pistol grip as on other models.

There are several more styles of both Saiga and Vepr available at Legion's site Saiga 12 For Sale - Saiga Conversion By Legion USA - all with their own up and down sides (magwell, folder, etc).

That being said, those 8 rounders are hella hard to find even from the various sites that provide them directly from the motherland. Honestly, I've had no trouble with any of the SGM magaiznes that I've used, but YMMV. Non-magwell model magazines can be converted for use in a magwell gun with a dremel, but will not activate automatic BHO without modification.

The 12-94 comes with a "coupon" for a free 8-rounder. It doesn't mention if it's Russian. K-var is currently sold out of 8-rounders.

EDIT: K-var offered the IZ-109BHO in 2011 with automatic BHO - this is the only one I've seen WITHOUT a magwell but WITH automatic BHO. A model with the automatic BHO feature is distinguishable by the button on the back of the mag release. I'm unfamiliar with how that BHO works and whether or not it takes a specially modified magazine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts