AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently become enamored with plum colored AK stocks and was wondering if someone could tell me some history about the use of this color. In what country did plum originate as a stock color? Was it ever used officially by any militaries?

And, why do I now want to take the perfectly fine black stock set off my HDI 103F and replace it with a triangle folder and plum hand guards and pistol grip? :confused: :grin:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also,
what was the reasoning behind the plum color vs. black?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wildstar said:
Was it ever used officially by any militaries?
It originated with the Soviet military and they didn't do it cuase they thought "in 30 years, those american bastards will love this color".

Published sources note that plum was simply an attempt to make black polymide plastic that didn't come out as expected. There is a HUGE difference between KVar plum and real Russian plum in that Russian peices tend to not be uniform in color and typically have wood filler material that adds to the dynamics in visual texture.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
IronBalaclava said:
Also,
what was the reasoning behind the plum color vs. black?
The Soviets wanted to have black polymer stocks for the AK-74, but the original dye that they had weakened the polymer in the stocks, so they went with the next darkest color they could, which turned out to be a plum like color.

When they found a black dye that worked for them, they dropped the plum and went to black.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
plum

the russian plum is definetly different,I got my first set from may be some of you guy's will remember randolf [ Finn bear] this was 15 + years ago the first to be seen in the US

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
plum

Its cool looking anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts