AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not talking about the bullet mags, but the slab sided polymer bulgarian mags with the mettle feed lips. so are they any good? pieces of crap? any specific problems? considering they are cheaper than waffles i am intrigued and want to know why i shouldn't buy 20 right now.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
They are also commercially made.

Treat them the same as the bullet mags.

Only the Polish 7.62x39 polymer slabsided magazines are milspec.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but what specific failures have people actually experienced? saiga's are commercial, but no one complains about them. p-mags are commercial, and everyone thinks they are the bee's knee's. so seriously what failures have been experienced?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The deal with the bulgy black slab sides is they were manufactured for release into commercial markets like here in the US (just like the bullet mags)...someone posted awhile back that they were actually being manufactured under contract by an Itallian based business (Berretta I think)...claims have been made that they were "tested for military use" before release but no verifiable evidence has ever been produced to substantiate that claim..yes the black one's have metal reinforcing in the lip area but both the front and rear lugs are plastic...also they don't have the metal sub-frame im-bedded in the mag body...I've tried to stomp a mil-spec bulgy waffle on a concrete surface and dang near caused permanent damage to my old leg...finally mashed the sucker but it took one hell of a lickin' before it stopped tickin'....these slab sides wouldn't take anything to ruin and in a very short time...also, in a SHTF situation the lugs could be broken unlike the mil spec waffles and steel mags...the clear ones have no metal reinforcing in the feed lip area...imho they're fluff for a fluffy American market...I have them in my collection but I don't even use them for range mags...my range mags are the ones I'll use if I ever have to use them for serious business...as far as "specific failures" goes there have been none reported but then these mags have never been actually battle tested like the mil spec mags have...mil spec's are battle proven...the commercial slab slides are pretty and will probably work consistently in a normal civilian day to day environment...hope this helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"front and rear lugs are plastic...also they don't have the metal sub-frame im-bedded in the mag body."

thats the info i wanted. not quite what i was hoping for but thanks.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
They are good mags, I've ran quite a bit of ammo thru the bullet and slabside mags and they hold up good.

Military tested or not, they will withhold a lot more beating than a mil-spec M-16 mag.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
nalioth said:

Only the Polish 7.62x39 polymer slabsided magazines are milspec.
Either the milspec was crappy or they were not built to spec with the majority having small crack issue in the plastic.

G

·
0 Posts
I will not buy polymer mags that do not have reinforced metal inserts. Why bother when there are plenty of steel mags, as well as reinforced polymer ones out there. :neutral:
They are producing them cheaper as the U.S is a disposable market. If they break in a few years, then there will be more mags to sell....chinese marketing...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts