AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference (if any) between mags and clips and rifles and carbines?? Could not find a general question link to post question.

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your username cracks me up. :twisted:

Anyway... magazines are essentially enclosed on 4 sides and bottom, have a spring and a floor plate that pushes ammunition up as the gun does its thing. Most of the time something has an internal or detachable magazine. Most firearms use magazines.

A clip on the other hand can be a strip (Stripper clip) or an enbloc clip (M1 Garand)

please excuse the "there is a difference" part. I snagged this off the web in a hurry.

"Carbine" is usually a smaller, more portable incarnation of a rifle.. although there are exceptions (such as the M1 Carbine)

91/30 Mosin Nagant - Rifle
M44 Mosin Nagant - Carbine

·
Registered
331 Posts
Jbird206 said:
What he said.

What I can't figure out is the proper pronounciation of carbine.
Marshall "Carbine" Williams was once asked the same question, to which he replied, "Do you say grapeVEEN or grapeVINE?".
As for me.....I pronounce it "carBEAN"!!

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
stripper clips - feed magazines for loading
en bloc clips - hold ammunition and are inserted into the action and are part of the feed system and remain until rounds are expended
magazines - are feeding devices that attach to the firearm as removable or fixed.

carbine - general terminology for a rifle with a shorter barrel than a standard issue rifle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts