AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, I bought a ‘69 Izhmash kit from R Guns last yr & would like to get a Tula kit. Moka’s Raifus stock seems to be depleted, R Guns only has Izhmash & I would like to avoid GB if possible. Sauer Supply has them all the way from ‘61- ‘75 & a ‘76 w/ all matching #’s & low ser #. Pricey kits but appear nice. I attempted to do a little research on year rarity & production #’s but couldn’t find much. I would assume the older the more collectible w/ certain years stand out. Of these which would you experts get pls.? Thanks in advance & Happy New Year!

·
Registered
401 Posts
They are all collectible. Which era do you like the most? I was advised that they made less late 70’s than the others because of the production of the new AK74. 77 being the last year for the AKM. Some of these kits are refurbished and may not be factory original parts or furniture if that matters to you? I find it a little easier to find correct replacement furniture and parts for the late 60’s -70’s.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Although I like all years, I especially like the late years when they switched to the side sling swivel. I picked up '72 kit with orginal furniture, as far as I can tell. I believe '72 is first year of the side swivel for Tula? Just my 2 cents for late year kit.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DK18: As far as which era I like the most, unsure, w/ have to ponder that, sir.
Thanks to all, much appreciated. Now I have something to go by.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I went with an early 61 Izzy kit from Sauer. My decision was based on an all matching kit and beautiful wood. They picked me a good one! 11 matching numbers!

Com'on we need some morei picks then that! What dose the rear trunnion look like?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
You must buy one each year that you can find of Tula and Izzy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to go w/ the ‘70 w/ matching hand guard from Sauer Supply to hopefully assure more matching parts. Huge thank you to member DK18 for providing much insight in the last few days. Helluva nice guy. This place is great!

scottyb: I only have what, 45, 50 to go? Lol

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
I would love to get in on some of those kits, but I don't know if I can stomach the price. Sure, they will probably be much higher when they sell out, but that's still a lot of money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would love to get in on some of those kits, but I don't know if I can stomach the price. Sure, they will probably be much higher when they sell out, but that's still a lot of money.
Same. My Tula kit cost me about $750 after factoring in profit I made selling a 2nd one after prices went up. Then I spent $200 or so adding to or improving the kit, $150 for the receiver, and $180 for the barrel, so I'm up to roughly $1280 all in. A 1961 matching lower HG Izhmash I'd like would be $2200 all in. Add in builder's costs and it gets a bit mad.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Same. My Tula kit cost me about $750 after factoring in profit I made selling a 2nd one after prices went up. Then I spent $200 or so adding to or improving the kit, $150 for the receiver, and $180 for the barrel, so I'm up to roughly $1280 all in. A 1961 matching lower HG Izhmash I'd like would be $2200 all in. Add in builder's costs and it gets a bit mad.
Yeah, a lot of people simply take the price of the kit at face value. I'm like you... I consider all factors. I've got several of the '68/'69 Rguns kits. I think I paid $750 or $850 for them, but can't remember at the moment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Received my ‘70 Tula kit ^ from Sauer Supply. Looks pretty good to my untrained eye. Numbers seem to match w/ the exception of the front Trunnion & they electro penciled the sight leaf.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts