AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a near new all matching #'s 1977 Russian kit and a pre-ban Steyr MAADI ARM would you

(A) build the Russian kit on a U.S. receiver with all the compliance parts and keep the MAADI as is

or

(B) build the Russian kit on the MAADI receiver with all Russian parts and build the MAADI parts along with the compliance parts on a U.S. receiver

I don't know if I am trying to get talked into or talked out of doing this. :confused: This stuff makes my brain hurt! I need help!

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Build the russian gun on a SAIGA receiver.
The entire gun would be russian then..

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KyAKGuy said:
Build the russian gun on a SAIGA receiver.
The entire gun would be russian then..

KyAKGuy
Would'nt you still have to use compliance parts on a SAIGA receiver?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Only if the maadi has the third hole!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I would wait until the Arsenal SLR 108 comes out and use it as the donor rifle.Use a US FCG and gas piston with US floorplates and follower,this way you can keep the outward appearance original.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Saiga is a poor choice. No mag dimples, too many holes to fill, legal grey area with changing out barrel trunnion (Saiga has the s/n on trunnion - You are going to use the Russian trunnion arn't you?), too many funky markings on the receiver that are not correct for a 1977 AKM. But if you do use the Saiga sell me your Saiga trunnions and optical rail. If you do not plan on using the Russian trunnion keep in mind that post 1974 Russian AKM barrel trunnions are 22mm, not 23. So that limits you to using a receiver with a 22mm akm style trunnion.

Best choice, there isn't one! I am waiting on the NoSpud and hoping it is a great receiver.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
TravisAasen said:
You forgot option

(C) Sell the AKM kit to Travis :grin:
Option (D)...screw Travis!...sell it to RotDorn!

Seriously DO NOT molest the preban Maadi! If anything find a pre94 Maadi, with the "Y" marking and build iton there.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Rotdorn said:
TravisAasen said:
You forgot option

(C) Sell the AKM kit to Travis :grin:
Option (D)...screw Travis!...sell it to RotDorn!

Seriously DO NOT molest the preban Maadi! If anything find a pre94 Maadi, with the "Y" marking and build iton there.

F those two. Sell it to your best buddy, TRS! :grin:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Find a pre-86 transferrable full auto AK and send everything off to Ted Marshall...

:twisted:

+1 on the SLR 108 idea.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
build it on a Tapco flat with drive screws :lol: Seriously though i would wait for the DCI premium receiver and build it on that if they are as nice as we expect. Dont molest the Maadi. It would be a different story if the ban was still on but its not. Your Maadi is worth more than you Russian kit, thats how i would look at it, no matter what you do its not going to be 100% authentic so for that reason i would wait for DCI's receiver. Just my .2 cents. McM

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a maadi with a Y I would be willing to swap fpr your steyr :goof:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts