AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying impress on a friend that ammo is very important to have. My rule is 1000rds per weapon minimum(Saved). I also plan 10 Mags per weapon, and also buy weapons in pairs, (IE I have 2 M4s, 2AKs, etc.). My friend thinks I am over the top. I think it is a reasonable thing to have lots of ammo. The 2nd ammendment does not protect ammo. Also ammo keeps getting higher. What are you guys thoughts?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I think around 5,000 rounds per rifle or more! Mags sound about right!

T :smile:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I just got my first 5.45 and I plan on trying to keep about 6K in reserve and each time I open a can get at least one if not 2 to replace it.

I wish I could say the same about .308 - that I can barely afford to shoot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Two of every rifle seems reasonable to me. I mean, what if your favorite rifle dies on you 10-20 years from now and there are no replacement parts available? Then you'll be glad you got another one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i'm with t 5000 rds minimun per caliber. i also pick up all the reloadable brass i can get my hands on. i have purchaced bullet molds for several calibers and have collected about a thousand pounds of wheel weights. learning to make my own powder. in short i don't intend to ever run out of ammo.

eta-if only one of your friends think your over the top. then you don't have near enough!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Start throwing chairs.

And I'd also ask myself... does John have a long mustache?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I always try to keep 1000 minimum per rifle, 500 min. per pistol. That is per rifle/ pistol, NOT caliber. I "TRY" to buy firearms in 3's as I have 3 kids to leave them to.

BUTTT- if you have the cash to keep 5000 on hand for each firearm more power to you! :grin: :hail:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Absolutely nothing.

"I always try to keep 1000 minimum per rifle, 500 min. per pistol"

... as have I. Given that your government can not be trusted? Wise advise. I have enough ammo, in all relevant calibers, to last my lifetime. And I'm NOT saying how much. Perhaps a bit more than Albania... :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have always lived by the 1000 rds per gun. 5000 per gun sounds better. I also buy pistol and rifle calibers that I don't have because I have friends who have guns with less than 100 rounds. They don't know it but I guess someone has to watch their back. Ammo will be a trading standard one of these days.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
i have so much, i have ran out of room for it at my house and am having to move 80% of my stash to another place. at least im not paying for the storage.

its not that much, but the crates take up tons of room.

13 crates 7N1 54r for 2 psl's, and mosin nagant

4 crates hungarian light ball for above mentioned

6k for ak's in x39

10k+ for 5.45 to which i need to purchase one... im really waiting on those dang kits to come in, in September. i plan on getting between 5-10 of those, and building them all. maybe leave 1 kit for spare parts.

i have to be honest, for long term 1k isnt that much. you could use that up in a firefight in a matter of 20 minutes... given you dont die. thats all hypothetical though and nothing like that will ever happen. i buy mine cause it will cost me more later.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
catsailer40 said:

Thats like 10 lifetimes worth of x54. I'd rather have 5.45 or 7.62x39 personally unless I had access to a PKM.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Robpiat said:
catsailer40 said:

Thats like 10 lifetimes worth of x54. I'd rather have 5.45 or 7.62x39 personally unless I had access to a PKM.
well, whenever i get ready i may trade some of it out. never know.

actually i posted a WTT ad. maybe i can use some of that stuff to get a nice ak74. my dad has 8 crates too.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I would pay to see someone use 1,000 rounds up in 20 minutes with any light rifle... M-4, M-16, AK-47, AKM... whatever.

Personally, I am way under on my ammo needs for ALL of my weapons. I have about 9K rounds 54r, 7K 39, and 2K 5.45 (only one 74) and I always want to buy more... if only I had the money.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think I'm conservative and I believe you need at least 1000rnds per rifle and pistol...that you never intend on getting into...PERIOD! Then you need at least 5000rnds in 7.62 x 39 cuz its still the best bang for the buck, 2000 rnds in your heaviest caliber 7.62 x 51, just to keep in form and shoot from time to time, and if your into 5.56 buy all you can get your hands on now even if your not an AR fan because the prices are going to skyrocket anyway...Buy as much ammunition as you can afford NOW! Do the American thing CHARGE IT now and repay with devalued dollars later.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts