AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating those tac-vests against something that seems a little simpler, my mag pouch with a sling to be worn like a messenger bag. Is that ghey?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Actually what you're talking about is becoming very popular. I've seen them referred to as Patrol Bandoleers and people are using them for mags, lights, gloves, small water bottles, etc.

They are usually small enough to not hinder movement, easy to ditch in an emergency, easy to get on in a hurry, and would be much better when getting into or out of a car than a loaded up tac vest.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M4arc said:
Actually what you're talking about is becoming very popular. I've seen them referred to as Patrol Bandoleers and people are using them for mags, lights, gloves, small water bottles, etc.

They are usually small enough to not hinder movement, easy to ditch in an emergency, easy to get on in a hurry, and would be much better when getting into or out of a car than a loaded up tac vest.
Yeah, I tried some hiking, moving and shooting with a vest and didn't like it, I haven't tried it with this, but I think this would be easier, you tighten it to the point that it is not at all loose going from one shoulde across to the other side on your hip. I would just guess this would be a simpler solution, and would give more room to move. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use a messenger bag to transport my books and laptop back and forth to work and I love it. Like you said you can tighten it up to where it doesn't move around yet is still accessible if you need to grab something.

One other positive aspect of it is that it doesn?t cover your back which helps keep you cooler in the hot weather. Since your back is a huge surface area covering it up will not let the heat escape properly. You wouldn?t have that problem with something like this.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
After trying many others, I'm back to the three-cell Chicom AK mag vest, although I prefer the rarer camo PVC version to the green canvas.

Tried Blackhawk: bulky and difficult to adjust. Also had to replace the laces.

Grad-1: too heavy when loaded to capacity. Flimsy material that tears easiliy. Also had to replace the laces.

I wear my Chicom vest with a standard US Vietnam era LBE with y-harness. I haven't warmed up to Molle gear yet, mostly due to lack of funds.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt the vests in my experience look "cooler", but I just felt if that day comes, cool will be the last thing on my mind.

Yeah, M4

<----- huge Tool fan, so inevitably I'm a huge APC fan. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess alot depends on what amount of "moving around" you plan to do and your AO. I prefer something on a belt myself. Less to get caught on things and flops around less if you're "in a hurry".

·
Registered
621 Posts
I keep mine in http://store.yahoo.com/optacticalgear/ak16chestrig.html one of these

They are reasonable for the quality. And versatile. Can be worn on the chest. Or on the side liek you are talking about. Also strapped to a pack. And if need be can be ditched rather quickly. They will hold up to 8 AK mags plus a radio or whatever in the side pouch. The pouches are also adjustable to hold several different size mags. They have a divider in them that will adjust to different depths you can velcro and it will hold 4 pistol mags. or lower capacity magazines.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would go with a simple chest rig and utility type belt either ALICE or MOLLE. That will be my civilian setup after I get out of the military. My current setup is a ALICE belt for mag pouches etc... and a MOLLE Lv. IV plate carrier with a camelbak.

I try to keep weight and bulk to a minimum! K.I.S.S. is way under rated. Keep your gear like your SHTF rifle in the picture above. Very simple. The larger you are the harder it is to wear the bulky stuff and move around. You seem to have a similar frame to me and that has been my experience.

The MOLLE gear is nice because you can still clip your ALICE gear to it until you upgrade. The tacticool stuff is just for show. Make sure you have a setup that works for you. Thats the only thing thats important.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Xenogy said:
The tacticool stuff is just for show. Make sure you have a setup that works for you. Thats the only thing thats important.
I agree. I almost made my signature line: "Just because it's black doesn't mean it's tactical."

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I really like the Specter Gear 3 mag chest pouch, it's comfortable and out of the way. It works with 7.62x51mm M14 mags, FAL mags, AK-74 mags, M16 mags, and also AK-47 mags, although there's a lot more curvature there.

I also have a Hungarian 4 cell shoulder strap mag carrier that I've had for at least 10 years. And no, they're not gay. :twisted:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Templar said:
I also have a Hungarian 4 cell shoulder strap mag carrier that I've had for at least 10 years. And no, they're not gay. :twisted:
I don't plan on calling someone with an M-14 and RPK gay!! :shock:

Is that an M-14 or M1A? Or a Norinco model?

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Templar said:

It's a full-boogie Smith Enterprises M14. :twisted:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Templar said:
Q-gunner2 said:
Templar said:

It's a full-boogie Smith Enterprises M14. :twisted:

Full auto! What is that, 20 grand? 30?

Where are all the M-14 drums, shame. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Templar said:
I really like the Specter Gear 3 mag chest pouch, it's comfortable and out of the way. It works with 7.62x51mm M14 mags, FAL mags, AK-74 mags, M16 mags, and also AK-47 mags, although there's a lot more curvature there.
Now thats what I'm talkin about. You can actually shoulder your rifle without a bunch of crap in the way and even sit down with it on. :grin:
I always hated vest types because you can't get a good shoulder weld and the buttstock tends to slide around on the flat surface of the vest.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I used one of these down at a Blackwater class, (please diregard the AR :eek: )

It's a HSGI Warlord 2.

VERY well made.

ETA, will hold any .308/7.62 .223/5.45 mags out there.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Bulldog1967 said:
I used one of these down at a Blackwater class, (please diregard the AR :eek: )

It's a HSGI Warlord 2.

VERY well made.

ETA, will hold any .308/7.62 .223/5.45 mags out there.

Where do we get it?

How much is it?

Does it have plenty of adjustment to go over body armor, middle age spread, cold weather gear, etc?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts