AK Rifles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what finish is best for PMKMS wood. I was gonna go ahead and just do linseed oil, but I thought Id get some other opinions first if any of you could be so kind :grin:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the upper and lower handguards are new, Ive got most of the cosmoline out of it. The pistol grip I have is also new, its one of those fat polish wood ones and its pretty dry with no cosmoline soaked into it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you can get the cosmo out of those things and get them to lighten up in color, I would:

1. steel wool
2. several coats of Tung Oil
3. steel wool
4. another coat of Tung Oil
5. steel wool

This will leave them fairly glossy, which can be good or bad. On brand new, virgin PMKMS laminate that has never seen a drop of cosmo, it looks really good. On used, greasy PMKMS handguards, it can show some of the little nicks a bit more than you might like to see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks good, Templar! Was that soaked in cosmo before the refinish? I baked and wiped (and baked and wiped and baked and wiped and baked and wiped and baked and wiped and baked and wiped and baked and wiped) my guards for 7-8 hours one day. I think I got as much of it off (out) as possible. Didn't want to risk the "dishwasher method" with the laminated wood. Got any "before" pics? as I'm curious as to how mine will turn out.
Thanks

Eddie

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
One type is really no better than another.
Why not just go down to your local Lowes/Home Depot/ Ace and get some there.
It will be cheaper and you can get it now, with no shipping charge.

I have used Formby's and Behr which are available at the above places for less than $10 OTD.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Lt.Eddie said:
Didn't want to risk the "dishwasher method" with the laminated wood.
The dishwasher method will not hurt any military grade laminate.

You should see what I put some Russian wood through to get it clean.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Z_recto said:
The dishwasher method will not hurt any military grade laminate.

Thanks, but I don't know. I'll have to talk myself into that one. The wood's in really nice shape and I'd hate to F it up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Z_recto said:
One type is really no better than another.
Why not just go down to your local Lowes/Home Depot/ Ace and get some there.
It will be cheaper and you can get it now, with no shipping charge.

I have used Formby's and Behr which are available at the above places for less than $10 OTD.
thankyou!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Lt.Eddie said:
[quote="Z_recto":ij1xnfav]The dishwasher method will not hurt any military grade laminate.

Thanks, but I don't know. I'll have to talk myself into that one. The wood's in really nice shape and I'd hate to F it up.[/quote:ij1xnfav]

Well if the wood is not too bad, why not try baking it in the oven at about 200 or so in some cat litter or maybe get some calcium carbonate and make a slurry and coat the wood and then bake it.
Do this until the oil stops comming out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I baked 'em all day and wiped with clean paper towels every half hour to an hour. That seemed to work pretty well. They're not greasy anymore, but they are gonna need some work on the color and finish.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welp Ive finished the upper handguard and grip, still working on the lower handguard because it took a long time to get the cosmoline out. I did what you said Cornfedhusker, but didnt get complete details so hopefully I did ok.

What I did was..

day 1 steel wooled till they were very smooth then tung Oiled
day 2 another coat of tung oil
day 3 another coat of tung oil
day 4 steel wooled until the gloss was gone then Tung oiled
day 5 another coat of tung oil
day 6 Lightly steel wooled for smoothness

The tung oil I used is made by Minwax, got it from Home depot 32 oz. for $15. The steel wool was 0000, 12 pads for $3 also from home depot.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looks good. Be sure to let that last coat completely harden. It can take quite a while.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok.......I did it. I ran my laminate through the dishwasher. It worked GREAT! It still smells a little like cosmo, but it came out clean. A little light sanding and its ready for finish. Thanks for the suggestion. :hail:

Now I'm gonna follow the above tung oil directions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts