AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lets get started on the list of stuff to go in our BUG OUT BAGS.
Lets keep the list to just the bags. More or less Get home bags....I only work 3 miles from home, But school is 24 miles. Some of the things I keep in the jeep with me are.
Extra clothes (Cammies, hat, socks, cold weather gear, boots and waterproof boots)
Flashlights, one big and one small.
Pistol
Blanket(s)
Water,
Gas can
Beef jerky or some kind of food stuff.
Ghillie suit (For REAL tough situations)
Knife (Gerber warthog)
Lighter/matches
Sledge hammer(you never know)
Fishing supplies
Hand tools. if I had to leave the vehicle, I would take the basics with me.
Poncho, along with extra jackets. one is a rainproof parka.

Theres probably some more stuff back there, its a mess right now. But lets do this list in getting home stuff. and keep it to an overnight trip. i am looking for things you will need to get to where you keep the rest of your stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,841 Posts
I would add some sort of less-lethal tool, preferably OC. This will come in handy for two-legged and four-legged problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Look at this for another take on a kit
http://www.survival.com/best.htm

Let me start my saying this is just my .02

There are several different types of kit levels out there from the basic to a full blown BOB for when you are not coming back.

Get home kit = just that items needed to get you home (light weight)
Car kit = Kit with supplies similar to above with more items and the addition of car care items like belts, cables, spare hoses, fix a flat etc (Heavy)
72 Hour kit = Items to last for 72 hours for you and family (Medium)
BOB = Bug Out Bag you are leaving your area and not coming back this is what you take. (Heavy)

This way it gives you more flexibility and ability to tailor the kit to reduce weight.

Bolt cutters are nice item to have in the car
:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,437 Posts
What I think you should do...

Get a bunch of those military surplus charcoal impregnated suits. 3 per family member. Put them in Space bags and vaccume out all the air. Put food and water purification tablets in another bag and suck the air out of that one. Have two small field first aid kits, then another large one with splints and specific medication. Then have a toolbox... hammer, plenty of nails, tarp, bolt cutters, wrench, gun cleaning kit. Then have a bunch of ammo under that, with boxes of batteries. Finally, another bag with bar soap, matches, toothbrushes, reading matereal, compas, map, knives, flashlights, etc.

Put it all in one of those Rubermade storeage bins. If SHTF, throw that bin in the back of the car and go.

If you really are stuck in the woods somewhere, you won't be able to shower. This means that: 1. Hunting will be hard as you will reek, and deer have a good sense of smell 2. If dogs or other animals come after you, you will be easily found. The charcoal impregnated suits help with all of that. They will last for about 10 days... put one on initially for getting away from the looters, then save the others. One for hunting (will last about 10 days, one big deer will last 3 people 2 weeks) and one incase there is another getaway.

Additional paranoid items include gas masks and spare filters, body armor, chemichal gloves, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
762BODYDROPPER said:
Ok lets get started on the list of stuff to go in our BUG OUT BAGS.
Lets keep the list to just the bags. More or less Get home bags....I only work 3 miles from home, But school is 24 miles. Some of the things I keep in the jeep with me are.
Extra clothes (Cammies, hat, socks, cold weather gear, boots and waterproof boots)
Flashlights, one big and one small.
Pistol
Blanket(s)
Water,
Gas can
Beef jerky or some kind of food stuff.
Ghillie suit (For REAL tough situations)
Knife (Gerber warthog)
Lighter/matches
Sledge hammer(you never know)
Fishing supplies
Hand tools. if I had to leave the vehicle, I would take the basics with me.
Poncho, along with extra jackets. one is a rainproof parka.

Theres probably some more stuff back there, its a mess right now. But lets do this list in getting home stuff. and keep it to an overnight trip. i am looking for things you will need to get to where you keep the rest of your stuff.
I'd add two cheap plastic tarps and some paracord (for a temporary shelter) and an underfolder with four 30 shot magazines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
MREs. I keep a handful of them around at all times.

In fact, when we had a terrible ice storm after Thanksgiving and lost power for many days, MREs were asure way to get a warm meal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
If the SHTF right now and I needed to get back home...

The FIRST thing I'd need(since I'm in Kuwait...) would be an AIRLINE TICKET!!! :lol: :roflmao:

74 days and counting... :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sgtstinger said:
If the SHTF right now and I needed to get back home...

The FIRST thing I'd need(since I'm in Kuwait...) would be an AIRLINE TICKET!!! :lol: :roflmao:

74 days and counting... :dance:
Too late for you man, shits already hit the fan there. Where in kuwait are you? I was at camp ryan, before we went in country....Probably not there anymore, and I hung out at Kuwaiti Naval base for a couple of weeks before I came home. Where you from in the states. You should try to come to the AKFORUM meet and greet at octoberfest in GA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Ok now should be obvious in a SHTF situation but toilet paper!
Ok got that one out of the way, but you'd be surprised how often that stuff can come in handy. Partical roll, in a sip lock bag, squish the roll flat. Oh throw in couple of bandanas too, can do all sorts of things with them depending on the season and the reason.
355
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
Don't forget 100 MPH tape aka duct tape. Many uses!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
762BODYDROPPER said:
sgtstinger said:
If the SHTF right now and I needed to get back home...

The FIRST thing I'd need(since I'm in Kuwait...) would be an AIRLINE TICKET!!! :lol: :roflmao:

74 days and counting... :dance:
Too late for you man, shits already hit the fan there. Where in kuwait are you? I was at camp ryan, before we went in country....Probably not there anymore, and I hung out at Kuwaiti Naval base for a couple of weeks before I came home. Where you from in the states. You should try to come to the AKFORUM meet and greet at octoberfest in GA

I work on Camp Buehring these days...

Back Home, I'm originally from Missouri(family & friends still there...) but now days reside in Tulsa, OK...

66 days and counting....:dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
66 days is gonna seem like nothing, we never got to count down....we never knew untill a few days before we went anywhere. When we went to iraq they were all like "we're goin", "we're goin, But we dont have an exact date yet, just know that WE ARE GOING." Then they came up to us right before the christmas "96" and said Were leaving the day after you come back from the new years "96". And when we came back it was "around the middle of may" then "Around the end of may" then it was like "Just have you stuff ready" Then "we have the rosters for the freedom birds, The following marines will be leaving tomorow........" Its kinda cool though that way you arent counting down and feeling like it takes forever!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,285 Posts
All you need is some Cash and a pistol to get home. Greenbacks will get you out of alot in that type of situation, money does talk. The pistol is stictly for defense purposes only, avoid all contact with people and get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Motorcityman said:
All you need is some Cash and a pistol to get home. Greenbacks will get you out of alot in that type of situation, money does talk. The pistol is stictly for defense purposes only, avoid all contact with people and get home.
So what your saying is in case of lets say an earthquake (8.0) And I am at school. 24 miles away from my house, all I would need to get home would be some cash and a gun? How about the unfortunate event of a nuke or dirty bomb? An emp released by that would down power and vehicles, not letting anyone get to work to sell me things...I would need stuff to get home on, and I would want to keep a low profile. Therefore first-aid, water, food, and and shelter would be on me. That would require more than just some cash and a pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,437 Posts
EMPs suck. They are not 100% effective, often areas with large magnetic fields (power plants, any place that has a large electromagnent) will weaken or stop an EMP wave from continuing.

If there is a Nuke and you aren't burried in lead, goodbye.

If there is a Bio and you aren't wearing a mask and suit, usually goodbye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I live 4 minutes (walking) from work, and work is 3 minutes (walking) from Meijers, 5 minutes (walking) from my bank and 7 minutes from my sister's.

If TSHTF i am getting on the phone to my sister and then my mom, then my cousin Tony.


Sending mom to Meijers (4 minute drive for her) to get gas, then water and food.

I am heading to the bank then Meijers to buy out all the ammo i can and other stuff that will then fit into the budget in such emergency.

I figure 30 minutes total till my sister and mom and myself can meet at sister's house and head out to pick up younger brother at school ( 7 minutes in usual traffic)

Brother's school is 4 minute drive from highway, which we should be able to reach within 90 minutes of initial report or alert of emergency.


I figure if we are on the road to our grandparents place in the country in under 2 hours, we will beat most people's reaction.... even their decision to take any action.

I might be wrong.

If my family, or even i doubt my decision to bug out, then i will tell them and myself that we can just come back the next day, no big deal........

better that getting stuck in a bad situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live far enough out of the city that if there were a small nuke We wouldnt get blasted by it we would only feel the repricussions of the people fleeing the city........Which is good, because if there was a large scale explosion in atlanta....there would be nobody to bug out to here. Just the people on the outskirts, most of the people that I know that are like minded that are prepared enough to bug out in time to affect me have already moved to the more rural areas....We used to live right outside the city and the neighborhoods there kept getting worse untill everyone moved out further. Its kinda having a ripple effect....Atlanta was a nice place to live..Then it tured into ghetto, Then the ghetto started spreading out, and gentrification began in the inner city, now its safe to live IN the city and not safe to live in the burbs......I guess I will just continue to move outward every few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
762BODYDROPPER said:
Motorcityman said:
All you need is some Cash and a pistol to get home. Greenbacks will get you out of alot in that type of situation, money does talk. The pistol is stictly for defense purposes only, avoid all contact with people and get home.
So what your saying is in case of lets say an earthquake (8.0) And I am at school. 24 miles away from my house, all I would need to get home would be some cash and a gun? How about the unfortunate event of a nuke or dirty bomb? An emp released by that would down power and vehicles, not letting anyone get to work to sell me things...I would need stuff to get home on, and I would want to keep a low profile. Therefore first-aid, water, food, and and shelter would be on me. That would require more than just some cash and a pistol.
A nuclear attack or earthquake in Georgia? What about a Volcano or Godzilla attack? The worst SHTF situation that is likely at all in GA is a Katrina type situation, or a mass riot. Of course now that I say that, let me knock on some wood for you guys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,498 Posts
I work 11 miles from home,its normally a nice drive through the country but in bad weather its not un-common to be stopped by a fallen tree across the road.In addition to my standard load of firepower,I carry a chainsaw and fuel when it looks like there is a possibility of bad weather.I also try to maintain at least three quarters of a tank of fuel.

 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top