AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question a year ago. I got several , "I just sight in at 100 yards" answers. The answer I chose was 30 yards. Sighting in at 30 yards would keep me true out to 300 meters. Now It is time to go sight in
my Kobra and maybe adjust the irons. What say you ??? :neutral:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I started at out 15 with my Kobra and worked my way out to 50. I feel comfortable out to 150 if need be but I am very confident sub 100.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
well i know to zero a M-4 you shoot a paper siloutet 25m away with your sights set a certain way,...and when you go to qualify you move the sight one click,.. and your good

is there a similar process the Russian's/ AK users have to zero with out actually shooting 100m targets?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Have sighted in my weapon at 50 meters, puts me a bit low (3 centimeters) at 25 meters. POA/POI at 50 meters and slightly high at 100 meters (1-3 cm). Out of my Type III Hungarian 7,62 AK.

Have yet to sight in my AKS74 with POSP sight, but since I shoot tacrifle matches mostly with distances from 100 meters inward I will zero this one the same way.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
LightSpeed said:
I posted this question a year ago. I got several , "I just sight in at 100 yards" answers. The answer I chose was 30 yards. Sighting in at 30 yards would keep me true out to 300 meters. :
30yrds ? where did that come from and how ? not even anywhere near close .

did you mean 7.62x39 or what ?

LightSpeed said:
Now It is time to go sight in
my Kobra and maybe adjust the irons. What say you ??? :neutral
:
not being into dots , i have no idea about them . as for the iron sights , what range do you have available ?

with the 7.62x39 , for your 'irons' , if you got 50 YARDS , zeroing in on -1- @50 YARDS will get the -1- zeroed @100 METERS . your sights are graduated in METERS . -2- should then hit about +2 inches and the 'BATTLE' setting about +4.7" @50 YARDS to hit 300M .

thats not how real 1st string commies do it though :confused:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
For 7.62x39mm I would start at 25 yards and adjust the irons so that you are hitting about 3/4 of an inch below your aiming mark. Adjust the Kobra so you are hitting the same distance below your mark as the center of the Kobra is above the axis of the bore. This should get you on paper at 100 yards.
Shooting at 100 yards: If you want to go Red Army with the irons you would set your rear sight to 300 and adjust the front sight untill you are hitting 9 3/4 to 10 inches above your aiming mark. Then set your rear sight at 100, shoot a group and see if you can live with the error.
It is assumed that there will be an error in the rear sight elevation ramp (for whatever ammo) and doing it this way is supposed to give you a tolerable elevation error at 100 meters (or yards) instead of three times that error at 300 meters.
Once the irons are done you can decide what range you want the Kobra sighted for.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The instructions for the Kobra says to sight the Kobra in at 100 meters because the marks on the dials are divided 3-5 cm at 100 meters.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
freerangeYODA said:
LightSpeed said:
I posted this question a year ago. I got several , "I just sight in at 100 yards" answers. The answer I chose was 30 yards. Sighting in at 30 yards would keep me true out to 300 meters. :
30yrds ? where did that come from and how ? not even anywhere near close .
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/sightin2.htm

did you mean 7.62x39 or what ?
YUP

LightSpeed said:
Now It is time to go sight in
my Kobra and maybe adjust the irons. What say you ??? :neutral
:
not being into dots , i have no idea about them . as for the iron sights , what range do you have available ?
0-600 meters

with the 7.62x39 , for your 'irons' , if you got 50 YARDS , zeroing in on -1- @50 YARDS will get the -1- zeroed @100 METERS . your sights are graduated in METERS . -2- should then hit about +2 inches and the 'BATTLE' setting about +4.7" @50 YARDS to hit 300M .

thats not how real 1st string commies do it though :confused:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
5thShock has it right basically .

i'll just help him out some and add ,

that it is done at 100 METERS . the closer you are to 109 yards between muzzle and target the better . the rear site on -3- . ajust the front site to hit centered at +10" above POA .

dont worry about variations in otherwise nominal ammo or of temperature , yet .

make sure any muzzle-device is tight or get rid of it . they can really open up groups if they are the least bit loose .

bayo off . if attached folding spike , close it .

if ajustment is needed , move only one direction at a time then try another group . like , ajust for elevation and try a group . then , ajust for windage " " . 1 full turn of an AK front sight post = 8.5" movement @100M . 1mm movement of the "slide or drum" = 10" @100M .

(BIG HINT HERE) the chinese tool has 1mm threads on the pusher part .

often , the frontsite slide or drum will be "staked" in place . many have bent the chinese tool trying to overcome the stake and , of course , blamed the tool :confused:

if staked or just plain frozen its best to drive it back and forth a little with an appropriet hammer/punch . i made some woodblocks just for this purpose because its easy to bend the "ears" just whacking at it against a table .

you cant rightly site-in off your elbows . THIS is supposed to be all about your weapon and this ammo , not you . use sandbags or a machine . many people are shocked to find their AK mechanicly way more accurate than they are when you make them shoot off sandbags properly :eek:

different ammo has widely different POI with AKs and SKSs . i've measured 19" @100M total of elevation POI diff from an AK between all the ammo ive tested . 12" of POI between common brands widely available now . this has nothing to do with exterior ballistics but where the barrel is pointing at bullet exit .

the +inches for the other site settings @100M should hit close too :

-1- , 100M = +0.0" @100M
-2- , 200M = + 4" @100M
-3- , 300M = +10" @100M
-4- , 400M = +17.5"@100M
-5- , 500M = +27" @100M

if your bright enough to have plumbed a line on a big 100M site-in target , you can check for left/right windage anomallies in your rear sight now and head off wondering where those 400M shots go .

yes , the rear seems loose to forced windage movement while static but thats not a problem . you see , thats governed by gravity-up-a-ramp . the rearsite jumps right off the ramp every shot and is so 're-set' . i suspect the idea behind this is to aid keeping it clear of debries . its THE RAMP that determines L/R consistancy PROVIDED the clasp-spring on the range-slide is strong .

the soviets had some complex mathmatical formule to determine "group center" . just use the old army way and that works fine . disreguard an obvious flyer for groupcenter calculation .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts