AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
Questions for the experts: I just traded some work to a guy and was given a Yugo M64 kit as payment. It's in great shape except for one issue...he tried to grind the front stub to make it fit into a stamped receiver and then gave up.

It's clearly off center when I fit it into a receiver myself, the left rail is nearly 1/8 off to the side. So what should I do, what are my options?

Obviously the threaded barrel prevents me from just popping it out and pressing into a M70 receiver. And the grinding prevents me from doing a re-weld. Anyone ever turn down the M64 barrel to fit a pressed trunnion? Or should I just part it out to try and recover some of the value?

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
If it were mine .. I would either try to find a M64 stub and do a reweld or try to find a new threaded receiver for it. I can't remember if CNC Warrior still makes or not. You might be able to find a ORF one too floating around.

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
Try AWO for a M64 receiver if you want to use the parts as a kit. If the barrel is in good shape you could turn it to press & pin or get a Yugo pulled press & pin. The AWO will run $225 + ship & transfer +/-.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch. AWO has one but after shipping and transfer fees I'm at $380!

What about the idea of turning the barrel? The rifling is dark but strong and it passes a bullet test easily. What is the OD of the threaded portion vs the ID of a trunnion?

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Would you still use a milled receiver or are you trying to use it on a stamped? For a milled press and pin .. your still looking at close to $380. Stamped receivers are obviously less, but you will have to get a front trunnion. Still overall cheaper than a milled build I guess

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
What did AWO quote you on the receiver?

The OD of the threaded option is about .930 and a normal press & pin in the .908 +/-. It would be a little close and might have some of the ripple of the last thread minor diameter but could work.
A M64 front stub and a center repair section or a couple of weld cut M64 receivers might run $100 if you can weld. Actual M70 trunnion front & rear would run $140 at least., and $100 for a stamped receiver.

this needs work., and heat treat but??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=383003100

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They quoted $250 for the heat treated UF milled receiver, plus shipping. Transfer, DROS, and tax gets me to $380. Doing the math now, it's nearly equal to the other route. $50 to turn it down, $150 or more for trunnions, $50 for a flat and rivets, my time to bend the flat, spot weld the rails, ream the holes, etc etc

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
They quoted $250 for the heat treated UF milled receiver, plus shipping. Transfer, DROS, and tax gets me to $380. Doing the math now, it's nearly equal to the other route. $50 to turn it down, $150 or more for trunnions, $50 for a flat and rivets, my time to bend the flat, spot weld the rails, ream the holes, etc etc
Jeez., how much is transfer & DROS., tax too??? Wow!.
If you have a bending brake for 1.5 mm Yugo etc. if not that is more $$. The milled receiver build is easier and nicer IMHO. But not cheap for your part of the world it seems. Good Luck which ever way you go,

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Seen a few m64 front stubs on gunbroker recently. $40-50. Post some pics, lets see the horror show.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Seen a few m64 front stubs on gunbroker recently. $40-50. Post some pics, lets see the horror show.

I agree and would love to cringe at some photos :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it looks like my initial figures are low for the milled receiver. I would still need a bullet guide and bottom cover, which places me well over $400 to get this running. Stand by for a For Sale ad. Anyone want to trade for a stamped Polish, Maadi or Romy kit?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yeah that's been bubba'd. What a waste, .... a person could reweld it as is. Look like ass but would work.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You could fill what's ground out w/ weld, then mill/grind flat. I think turbothis does it w/ m64 front stubs, turning them into m70s. But that'd be a lot of heat to put into that area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts