AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fighting with myself for a few weeks.
There are a number of projects I have going at the moment, all of them FAL related. The safe is nearly full and will be overly so by the time these projects are completed. Time for another safe!
My problem.
There are a number of rifles I don't shoot but all of them have some value to me. I could list them all but that wouldn't accomplish anything really. So the ones I'm considering moving are an EBO SAR8, Inrange built Bulgy 74, and a mostly converted MAK90 that was my Dad's.
The MAK has sentimental value. I love the 74 most of all and have a pile (not a mag whore though!) of mags for it. The SAR8 eats FAL food and is nearly redundant since I have many other 762 rifles. But it's the only fully factory made rifle of the three. It goes well with my 33k sbr also.
I want to keep all three! But I feel like I need to justify some of my other projects.
Is there a rational way to make a decision? Which to keep? Which to move? Keep them all?
I'd like to simply get over it and sell something already! Or shut up and keep them all!
But here I am, banging my head on the keyboard.

Advice welcomed.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I kept all of my Fathers rifles and glad I did. Lost him in 2006.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
1. are you in financial trouble?
2. Do you have 3-5 months of savings for emergencies(rent, food, medical bills)?

If you dont have financial trouble and have savings for the above #2, then stop spending on things, save for a bit and perform your projects slowly, so that will mean more to you. Focus on one at a time, so that you dont go broke and crazy at the same time.

More importantly, dont sell guns until you need to. Give them to your kids.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
My personal feeling, if you get rid of that rifle your dad left you, you will never forgive yourself.

Unless you really need the money, hang on to what you have. I have always regretted selling the few rifles I have sold, mostly Poly Tech pre-bans but they helped fund my daughter's college, so not having loans to repay is easier to take than losing some really great rifles. Guarantee that if I didn't have to sell them I wouldn't have, so that is my 2 cents to you.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
2. Do you have 3-5 months of savings for emergencies(rent, food, medical bills)?

If you dont have financial trouble and have savings for the above #2, then stop spending on things, save for a bit and perform your projects slowly, so that will mean more to you. Focus on one at a time, so that you dont go broke and crazy at the same time.

+1 .. my suggestion too

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Those Bulgarian 74's do take up a lot of room...:rolleyes:

Edit: But I'd keep it...you just need more storage!

·
Banned
950 Posts
One 74. I think I would panic. Truthfully, I'd dump the kit guns, FAL's excluded. I wouldn't sell the Ebo SAR, you can't replace it easily. I would however have it done up properly with a corrected muzzle brake and stock assembly if you haven't already done so. I have three 91's and a G3K built on an Ebo SAR that I like very much. I'm in the same boat, I have way to many AK's and frankly the collection is starting to go sideways. I can't fit them all in the safe and now feel that I have to many.

·
Registered
94 Posts

This is some golden advice. I'm going to try and follow this as well.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Guys, please understand that its completely possible to get hurt and either 1. have high medical bills, 2. not be able to work, therefore need to pay rent/mortgage without any income. You really need some savings to take care of you during this time. Trust me, it happened to me!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Dump the SAR8. You said yourself that you don't shoot it, and it's basically redundant. While they're not particularly easy to find, it's not like they are (or ever will be) high demand rifles. On down the road, if you decide you miss it, you can pick up another one with a little bit of searching.

·
Registered
429 Posts
+1 on dump the SAR8
BTW i am on the market for a EBO SAR8:cool:
Dump the SAR8. You said yourself that you don't shoot it, and it's basically redundant. While they're not particularly easy to find, it's not like they are (or ever will be) high demand rifles. On down the road, if you decide you miss it, you can pick up another one with a little bit of searching.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I appreciate all the advice, guys. I won't sell Dad's rifle. Someone said to keep the factory rifle and I agree that it's smart to keep the factory built rifle over the "built" rifles. But I'm leaning towards selling the SAR8.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
X2. If you enjoy the other more then dump it. Plus, ammo being what it is now, it's cheaper to feed the other rifles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, if you send some to me I think you will find that you won't have to buy a new safe. XD

I would get rid of the SAR8 as most others said, but I don't sell my guns...

·
1,092 Posts
Never sell a gun passed down or given to you by your father. May not mean a lot to you now but you will regret it later.

I would sell the gun that's the easiest to replace. Another thing to consider is how much will a $500 gun today cost to replace 5 years from now. We all remember the original bbl AK-74s that came with 4 mags about 3-4 years ago and only cost $399... Today a replacement would be a minimum $600-$800 plus $25/mag... I rarely sell a gun unless I already have a replacement....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't need the money, just time for something else. I have had my fun with a bunch of these and find I'm kinda bored with them now. Both the AKs and the SAR8. I should probably just relax and forget about it for a while.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
+1 That's the one I'd be getting rid out of the choices you listed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts