AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you may not even care, but if the SHTF what watch would you wanna be wearing? I'm a bit of a watch snob so I would say that it would need to be one of the following:

1. Automatic (wrist movement winds the watch)
2. Mechanical (you wind the watch every day or so)
3. Solar Powered (sun provides the power)

Forget quartz, if it's a lengthy SHTF situation those little batteries may be hard to come by.

Anyway my first choice is my Seiko Auto Orange Monster, but I have a few of each!

What would you want to be wearing? PICS are welcome.
(Sun dials dont count :lol: )

·
Registered
88 Posts
I personally wouldn't want to rely on any watch if possible. I do use an alarm clock to make it to work on time, but if I am camping, going fishing, or going hunting I dont use one. I feel I am able to gage time fairly good with my own internal clock and location of sun in the sky. I also know the shadows in the yard. It makes it easy to see the shadows and knwo how long befor nightfall. But clocks are everywhere now, so it is hard to say I never look at the time.

The big one for me is to leave the cell behind or atleast "OFF" at times to reduce the dependancey. Where I camp, fish, and hunt the thing is worthless anyway.

Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
25,841 Posts
Honestly, if I could choose any watch it would be the Rolex Submariner. Nothing Bling, just a solid watch. However, since I"m not going to spend $1000 on a watch anytime soon, I"ll keep using my S&W Tritium military watch.
I also have a "dress" watch from Citizen that has eco drive. Bought it in 2003, and its been running no problem ever since. Only problem with that watch is it will not stand up to harsh use in the field.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am also a watch snob, My daily watch is a balck Citizen Eco-drive, solar powered, with the synthetic sapphire crystals imported from Japan. it will run ~6 moths with out any sunlight on it, and it only takes 3 hours of sunlight to fully charge the battery. Best money i have ever spent.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I love Orient (Seiko made) automatics. They are super reliable and built like tanks. I have been wearing those for a loooong time, and they never failed me!

They sell for around $100 on eBay, they are the high-end Seiko line, they have watches for everybody, even ECO-DRIVES, and they last forever. All are made in JAPAN (no CHINA crap).

http://www.orient-watch.com/global/product/index.html

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What ever I am wearing at the time, 'scuse the pun

I have had a Maratac for 2 years. Timex built, compass, indiglo lit face. Its ok, the battery is starting to die, so its time for a new watch.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I like my G-shocks. batteries have usually lasted me 3 years. If i need more than that, I may have greater worries than time.

Plus i have a weight driven Cukoo clock in my office, and a grandfather clock in the living room. (not that i'd carry them with me) :wink:

·
Banned
698 Posts
A watch?

LOL.

If I can't get the time off one of the many clocks that surround me then I guess the SHTF and time no longer matters.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have a Seiko 6309-7049 150 meter Divers watch (known as the Pincushion Diver). Purchased it as a graduation present to myself when I finished my masters in 1990. I also have 2 Seiko Kinetic Divers watches.

All three should last a long time. I alternately use each when I backpack.

I do want to get the self-winding Seiko Alpinist one day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My favorite for duty use is the Casio Pathfinder Tough Solar series. I wear the PAW1200T. It's funny that it has PAW in the name (Post Apocalyptic World). Here is a pic.

* Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping Works with atomic clocks in the USA, Europe, and Japan
* Tough Solar Power
* Digital Compass
16 points of measurement
Measuring range: 0º to 359º
Measuring unit: 1º
* Altimeter
Measuring range: -700 to 10,000 m (-2,300 to 32,800 ft.)
* Barometer
Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
* Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60ºC (14 to 140ºF)
* Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
* Duplex LCD Display
* World Time (29 time zones, 30 cities)
* 5 Daily Alarms
* Countdown Timer
* 1/100-second stopwatch
* Hourly Time Signal
* Battery Power Indicator
* Power Saving Function
* Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The Seiko my dad gave me. When it goes kaput, I'd use 7.62 to procure another. :cool:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
No watch.
No need.
Frankly I just don't have the time for a watch.
If you are important enough people will wait for you. :twisted:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, my mother in law is down for the week, Ive been drinking and I'm messing around with my pics, watches etc... Here is my Orange Monster. Stinkin' thing is dang near bullet proof and never needs a battery! (if the pic doesn't work, I'll try again tomorrow).

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wear a very basic Citizen Eco Drive titanium watch. I've had it for a few years now and the only draw back has been the lack of the Indiglo face. I was used to on my old $32 Timex Expedition that it replaced. It gets difficult to read the face after a few hours in the dark so the Indiglo would be nice.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the Eco Drive so far.

My only concern is about it's life expectancy, I assume it's using a rechargeable battery and those do have to get replaced every so often.

Deros

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Luminox stainless steel divers watch. Stainless band, case and bezel, black face. The white hands and hash marks on the black face contrast well and thus are easy to read in the day with a glance, and they are luminous as well and can be seen easily at night. Good for my middle aged eyes.

joedog

1 - 16 of 16 Posts