AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What things do you feel you should need to know if the S Does HTF. A few of the things I feel are a necessity are.
What water you can and cant drink and a few different ways to filter it.
Hunting/gathering. Knowledge of how to hunt and or pick food fromt he land. Farming would be a big plus here.
Finding or making appropriate shelter.
Basic first aid... Advanced would be best but some is better than none.
Camoflauge. They cant get you if they cant find you right.
Navigation. Getting yourself un-lost wther by map or just remembering where you came from.
Mechanical skills. Knowing how to build stuff to make your life easier.
Lockpicking. If its locked (And preferable deserted) and you want to get in to look for things you may use. No shooting the lock isnt always the best option.
Sewing. Your clothes will wear out eventually.
Tanning. Something that I dont know about but would like to learn.
Any other ideas from you guys?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Cooking. You can't stay healthy if you don't eat healthy. Elementry I know, but not to be overlooked.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MauserMark said:
stock up on MRE's and ready made meals. and power bars. :mrgreen:
Bad thing about that is you gotta carry around mre and power bars meaning more weight...Now Bambi and firewood.....Thats always in the woods.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
BiggerStick47 said:
G21forme said:
I think more people should know how to use a compass, I learned young when I would camp with my father.

Agreed.
Also if you have a GPS unit you should know how to use a compass. Batteries won't last forever and an EMP could ruin your day right from the start.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Xenogy said:
BiggerStick47 said:
G21forme said:
I think more people should know how to use a compass, I learned young when I would camp with my father.

Agreed.
Also if you have a GPS unit you should know how to use a compass. Batteries won't last forever and an EMP could ruin your day right from the start.
You could easily have problems with a GPS without an EMP event. No matter what anybody tells you, GPS signals can be jammed, meaconned, or just plain turned off. The earth's magnetic field is much harder to screw with!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your jumping ahead of everything here. First is to decide what you need to know....Then take what you need to know and apply it on what you need to do...Then what you need to have to do it....Just work with us on the Knowing how to do things part for now. Atleast in this thread

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont forget that we are all within a fairly close proximity to Nuke Plants.................. also test and research facilities at major college Universities . You should have some IOSAT( Potassiam Iodate )stored for your little ones to protect their Thyroid Glands in the unfortunate but inevitable likelyhood of a terrorist attack on a facility.

G

·
MauserMark said:
That's assuming you could find a bambi within the time you'd need to eat without passing out. :mrgreen:
Trust me, Im not going to wait that long to start looking. And besides, people will be an abundant source of food.

·
Registered
551 Posts
BiggerStick47 said:
MauserMark said:
That's assuming you could find a bambi within the time you'd need to eat without passing out. :mrgreen:
Trust me, Im not going to wait that long to start looking. And besides, people will be an abundant source of food.
only vepr guys would think of canabalism during a state of chaos. :lol:

you shall now be called, "hannibal vepr"

G

·
MauserMark said:
BiggerStick47 said:
MauserMark said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MauserMark said:
BiggerStick47 said:
MauserMark said:

Thats good man thats good.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'll try to get us back on topic. Building an effective temporary shelter will be a skill some of us will need.

·
Registered
881 Posts
We have a good list going here but in addition to knowing this stuff we all need to be in some sort of decent shape as well. Without some creature comforts we're going to need to be working, making preparations, building shelters, hunting, and God knows what else from sun up to sun down.

Being in good shape will certain help us survive as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts