AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about selling an old kit I bought from Rapidfire 7 years ago. But looking into it a little bit, its a great kit, I guess I'll keep it even though I'm hurting for money. Its in used but excellent mechanical condition. Its an AK-74 smooth triangle side folder. Has the "double rivet" bullet guide and the rear trunnion has the exact same markings on the top edge as my SLR-105. If I'm not mistaken, that means these are Russian parts the Bulgarians used to make their own rifles at one time. Does this make it a more desireable kit? Should I refinish it? The original finish looks good enough. Only the paint on the bolt carrier looks bad. It looks like someone sorta scraped the paint off of it on one side. What 922r parts should I use? How would you guys build it? Try to put it together myself? Have someone who knows their stuff do it? Who would you guys recommend these days? I've been out of the game for several years.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
They are nice kits. The double rivet bullet guide is a small value plus but nothing real special IMHO. Yes., 6 part swap., the easiest for general use and least expensive being FCG, gas piston, receiver and pistol grip (AK74 muzzle devices can be had in USA but more $$ vs AKM slant etc.)

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I'd use a US FCG, piston, receiver and pistol grip. Hate the idea of converting mags. Like to be able to legally use any mag i encounter

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I'd use a US FCG, receiver, pistol grip, and handguard set. The K-Var handguard sets are dead ringers for the originals. I'd much rather change out the handguards than a gas piston. Bottom line: there's more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The highly visible pistol grip and handguards left original are nice to leave original vs the unseen and cheaper to replace piston IMHO.., or the easy to swap $10 slant brake or muzzle nut. But each to their own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts