AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, recently relations between Washington and Havana were normalized after decades. So with that in mind, does anyone here know what AK models were used by Cuba and where did that come from? What are the odds of having a kit from there?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Kits from there are unobtanium as of now.

I would think they used soviet made rifles in some quantities and ones they made would have been made under soviet supervision early on. and later on i would think theyd still stick close to soviet patterns

·
Technical Advisor
15,594 Posts
Weapons list>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Revolutionary_Armed_Forces

Cuba is a proscribed country. The flow of arms, parts or articles o war etc.,

§447.52 Import restrictions applicable to certain countries

(a) It is the policy of the United States to deny licenses and other approvals with respect to defense articles and defense services originating in certain countries or areas. This policy applies to Afghanistan, Belarus (one of the states composing the former Soviet Union), Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mongolia, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Vietnam. This policy applies to countries or areas with respect to which the United States maintains an arms embargo (e.g., Burma, China, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Liberia, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, and UNITA (Angola)). It also applies when an import would not be in furtherance of world peace and the security and foreign policy of the United States

·
Banned
547 Posts
Don't know about AKs but Che Guevara visited Yugoslavia in 1959, and he wanted and visited Zastava factory also. There he tested Zastava weapons and there is story when he was shooting Zastava factory test shooter said "Who is this kid? He can easily take my job and work instead of me in Zastava!" That was huge compliment; test shooters are excellent marksmen, in Zastava at least. Today there is one working in Zastava that can put 30 round from M70 full auto mode one burst, standing, at 100 meters in 1m x 1m target (some weapon journalists in Serbia didn't believed this when they heard it in Zastava so he did it in front of them).

Reactions: stoyan79 and otus

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any non Soviet East Euro AKs? I heard that Bulgaria, Poland, Yugoslavia and East Germany all sold or gave Havana arms. Could that have included AKs?

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was recently looking into what actually turned up in Grenada during Operation Urgent Fury. Seems Fidel's intent was to turn it into a "Mini Cuba". I suspect most of the weaponry found there either came from or was funneled thru Cuba. Here is a link to a huge photo gallery. You will find some interesting pics. An aside to this is I found on another Forum an accounting of the weapons recovered. The Czech arms (all the small-arms?) recovered were inventoried, cleaned and put into storage here in the U.S. Here is the tabulation, taken from Dept. of Defense records as of November 1983. It was stated that additional caches of weapons and ammunition were still turning up:

4,074 SKS
2,432 Mosin-Nagant (M1944)
1,626 Soviet AK-47
1,120 Czech Model 52
300 Misc. Sidearms
300 Shotguns
180 Soviet M1945 Submachine Gun
58 Enfield Rifle
55 M23 Submachine Gun
32 N-3A1 Submachine Gun (M3A1?)
31 .22 Caliber Rifles
17 Sten Mark 2
7 Sterling Submachine Gun
6 M-16
3 Mk-3 (?)
2 Bren Rifle
5.5 million rounds of small arms ammunition was taken as well.

I have seen some of the AK photos and believe the above inventory lumps them all in as "Soviet" by design and not specifically by country of manufacture. One wonders about the SKSs, too.:

Operation Urgent Fury (Grenada) Photo Gallery by Oly Olson at pbase.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts