AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very experienced with ARs (retired Army) but am new to AKs. Compared to an AR, how accurate is an AK? More specifically.... if I can make a 3/4" group with an AR at 25 meters with iron sights, what sort of a group would I have with an AK with 7.62x39? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
950 Posts
AK's in 7.62x39 are not all that accurate but 3MOA at 100 meters is achievable with an optic. In all honesty I would say 5.56 and 5.45 AK's are as accurate as a say a piston fed AR. In fact having owned both, I'd say they are equal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think a lot will depend on the gun. My mak90 has surprised me. With iron sites, I shoot ~1 to 1.5 inch group at 25 yds (from a seated position on a rest). Even a little better sometimes. At 100yds it's about 2 to 3" groups. Even the cheap ammo works pretty well, but it always seem to have a few fliers i cant explain. I use Hornady's sst's for hog hunting, and they seem pretty consistent when i shoot them at the range. But then again, i don't blast thru mags of them like i do the cheap stuff. I've also shot a friends AK, (a Century built rifle IIRC), and it was not near as accurate as mine seems to be. Nor was it as smooth in it's action. I shot maybe 5 or 6 inch groups at 100yds, and that's being nice. For comparison, I can often shoot one ragged hole at 25 yd with my AR, and sub 2" groups at 100 pretty consistently, if i take my time. (My AR has a decent red dot site on it.)

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Of all the AKs I've shot and had (and have) I find that the yugo AKs seem to be the most accurate.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I built a Yugo M70 milled reciever(reweld). It had a typical Yugo sewer pipe bore but shot a football size group at 100 yds at sort of rapid fire. My 762x39 Saiga with the long barrel shot a 2inch group at 75-100 yards with tech sights. It'll do 2-3 inches with factory sights and careful shooting though. I think the average factory built gun will run 3 inches at 100 yards and maybe better with better ammo.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
It depends on the individual rifle, and what ammo use. My best at distance was with a converted Siaga (AK103) using Yugo ball. Out of 20 shots from the bench, I scored 15 hits on an "E" target. I was using an Aimpoint though...

Although I've never personally shot an AK74 past 300M, quite a few here have, and did quite well. IMO, if you can keep 50% or hits on an "E" target at 300M, your doing just fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good information. I recently purchased an OPAP but am not so interested in actually firing it till it warms up a little. I like to have fun at a range, not frostbite! :) I'm getting soft in my old age. I'll let you know how I do.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Thanks for all the good information. I recently purchased an OPAP but am not so interested in actually firing it till it warms up a little. I like to have fun at a range, not frostbite! :) I'm getting soft in my old age. I'll let you know how I do.
Please do. The current PAP rifles I have no expeirence with accuracy and would like to hear the results.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Your not getting soft, your just putting that lifetime of wisdom to good use...:wink:

·
Banned
103 Posts
The AK is not designed to be any kind of a precision rifle.

Most people are shooting Russian ammo through it to begin with, which is not inherently super-accurate.

It is a close quarter battle rifle, good enough out to 300 meters, most uses of the AK will take place within 100 meters.

If you can get rounds on center mass, with good "minute of man" results, that's good enough.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've notice in the AK magazines that test shoot the AK's they all seem about the same at 100 yards regardless of price. Grouping seems to average 1.5" to 3.0 ", w/the AK74 coming in at the lower end and the AK47 at the higher end. But the under folders spread is greater going 4" to 6".

Source: AK-47 & Soviet Weapons 2014.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here is my SLR 107 @ 25 yds mostly standing. 75 rounds in all. Three of the 5 in the white area are from sighting in.

Same rifle head shots

·
Banned
950 Posts
Couple of things are working against you with a 7.62x39 AK. First the diameter of the barrel vs the bore diameter. Not much meat between the outside of the barrel and the the bore itself, that and the barrel tends to have some whip as all barrels do. The reason the 5.45 and 5.56 guns are so accurate is because the bore diameter is smaller, thus more meat for the barrel itself and less whip. However, I've owned enough 7.62x39 rifles that I would never feel undergunned with one and they deliver a lot more energy on target in ranges well past the limited ranges of the gross expansion/fragmentation that 5.56 was designed to deliver. A standard AKM should be able to make head shots on silhouette targets easily out to 300 meters with a dialed in optic. I've seen videos with people using them out farther but I think around 400 meters is max given the drop of the round. Personally I've never ran mine past 225 meters and frankly- I think that's about as far I would want to shoot for urban style combat anyway. I have other rifles that I use for longer ranges. The 7.62x39 is a true modern battle cartridge, designed to deliver a lot of energy inside of normal combat ranges. However it wouldn't be my first choice if I lived in the wide open country of say Montana or Utah. However in a dense forest or urban setting, it's just about ideal and frankly, performs better than either 5.56 or 5.45 in that type of environment.

My opinion completely based on shooting at static targets in controlled environments along with hunting. So you might want to talk to someone who has been in actual combat to get their opinion. For the most part, I think the AK has a bad rap because it's not as ergonomic as an AR. However the AR will never be as reliable as an AK and you can upgrade your AK to be as modern as you like.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Couple of things are working against you with a 7.62x39 AK. First the diameter of the barrel vs the bore diameter. Not much meat between the outside of the barrel and the the bore itself, that and the barrel tends to have some whip as all barrels do. The reason the 5.45 and 5.56 guns are so accurate is because the bore diameter is smaller, thus more meat for the barrel itself and less whip.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer milled AKs. Nice thicker barrel compared to a AKM barrel.

Op, comparing a AK to a AR in the accuracy department isn't really a issue with us casual shooters unless your constantly shooting at 300 yards and beyond. At that point, its 308 time. At 25 yards I doubt you will even notice a difference as both rifles are designed for it. Personally, I really don't start counting accuracy into it unless its 75+ yards.

Knowing your rifle and shooting it regularly is the best kind or accuracy there is. I often outshoot AR guys because of this.

·
Banned
950 Posts
AR15 barrel whip video, they can't even get it to function for the stupid video initially:

All extended barrel firearms have some barrel whip, that's pretty much part of it. However it's less for the rifles with smaller bore diameter vs outside barrel diameter- basically what we have known all along, heavy barrels make for more accurate shooting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts