AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I have all that stuff turned off on my phone, so no need to remove it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Turn off your GPS location. Turns off the 'printing' of your location onto pics.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Sometimes your photo host does this automatically.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have all that stuff turned off on my phone, so no need to remove it.
I do as well, but I upload to a different photo site. Then screen shot the picture and re upload to my forum/wts photo account

·
Registered
507 Posts
If it is a modern phone worth enough to sell, there should be a setting somewhere in the memory to perform a hard reset. Restoring most everything to factory.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Open the picture in a photo editing program, select all (ctrl + a) and copy (ctrl+c) and paste (ctrl + v) it into a new file. Then save it as a .jpg or so with a new name.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I never would have been able to answer this question myself, but my wife is much more digitally literate and focused on privacy and information policy issues. After I mentioned this thread in passing to her, she typed-up this awesome reply:

"Most phones permit the user to disable geolocation for their camera, but I wouldn't rely on this; other metadata may compromise privacy, and other apps used to edit or share the photos might add metadata. Looks like your AKForum friend could:

1. Transfer the photographs from his phone to his computer, and use desktop software like Exif Cleaner or PhotoLinker to edit the metadata. If he has Photoshop, he does not need separate software; he can just use the Save for Web function and change the Metadata setting to "None."

2. Use a phone-based app to edit the Exif data. Exif Wizard (iPhone) and Exif Eraser (Android) are popular. DeGeo is also popular, but only removes geolocation information, so I personally wouldn't use it. (Actually, I personally wouldn't use any phone-based software, because I'd rather not send my cell phone company and NSA a memo about the fact that I'm scrubbing metadata from my photos, which is pretty much what you're doing when you download an app. But I'm a crazy person. If he's just worried about disclosing the geocoordinates of his gun collection to random people on the web, this would probably be adequate.)
3. Open the photo on a computer not connected to him (e.g., public library), take a screenshot of the photo, and use the screenshot image for his forum post, advertisement, etc. Screenshot images will be low-resolution, of course, but this is a very effective low-tech method. It's a good idea to use a public computer any time you upload any content you do not want tied to your location, since IP addresses are often logged when uploading anything to cloud storage or websites. (It's possible to mask your IP using Tor or other programs, but it's a pain and it's not fool-proof.)"

I am a lucky guy to be married to such an awesome, smart woman!

-otus

Reactions: Elliot308

·
Banned
950 Posts
Sad that we live in a country like this after all our soldiers have sacrificed to achieve. Go die in some foxhole fighting for "freedom" when the government becomes some Cold War era spy agency wasting trillions in tax payer dollars just to turn to this country into some East German police state.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've quit posting alot of photos because its such a risk now day's, and pain to edit not only the photo but all the data attached to it. I remember when the internet was fun and not a way to track/record your everything. Eye of mordor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts