AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a Romanian AK-74 Clone. I was wondering, what do you all think would be the best place to start? (Realistically) I was thinking a SAR-2 would be the logical choice, and then replace the gas block w/ a new romy 74 gas block from K-Var (w/ bayo lug) and new Romy 74 FSB w/ 22mm threads from K-Var.

I already have a line on the bakelite handguards w/ pistol grip as well as the side folder and the 22mm FSB.

I know I will need the correct brake, but for now I think I will machine a sleeve for a bulgarian brake to thread into that steps it down from 24mm to 22mm.

Please let me know what you guys think of the SAR-2 Idea. I am very open to recomendations :D

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
CatalystX said:
I want to build a Romanian AK-74 Clone. I was wondering, what do you all think would be the best place to start? (Realistically) I was thinking a SAR-2 would be the logical choice, and then replace the gas block w/ a new romy 74 gas block from K-Var (w/ bayo lug) and new Romy 74 FSB w/ 22mm threads from K-Var.

I already have a line on the bakelite handguards w/ pistol grip as well as the side folder and the 22mm FSB.

I know I will need the correct brake, but for now I think I will machine a sleeve for a bulgarian brake to thread into that steps it down from 24mm to 22mm.

Please let me know what you guys think of the SAR-2 Idea. I am very open to recomendations :D
Why does everyone seem to want to put a "gas block with bayonet lug" on their -74 builds?

The bayonet lug is on the front sight block on the AK74.

The best donor gun would be an Intrac MkII.

Here's mine:

The military rifles only have bakelite gas tube covers. The lower handguard is wood

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
so what is that other lug for on the gas block on the two rifles in the picture?

i totally agree with the bayo lug being on the FSB on a 74, but they do put a lug on the gas block to. for what i dont know maybe a 2 foot long handled bayonet lol.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
CatalystX :
Ak-U.S.A. has 22mm AK-74 breaks to fit the K-var 22mm Romanian FSB.

I received mine two weeks ago very nice I might add it's chrome lined on the inside very good copy of the original and also counts as as 922 U.S. made complieance part.

It's not cheep $75.00 shipped but he cut no corners he did a good job, I think it was worth the money this time.

Call Chris Butler
1-239-334-4231
:smileak: :animak:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
nalioth :
I like the way yours is set up I like the wood upper and lower front pistol grip handgaurd you have also.
All you need is a Romanian reddish brown Bakelite rear pistol grip & a cleaning rod and your good to go. :hail:

I have a push button folder on mine, don't like it I'll be switching to a lever like you have soon. :smile:

I also have 9 polish mags and 9 East German mags, but for show I got one steel Romanian mag from APEX for $25.00 :wink:

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Alfred said:
nalioth :
I like the way yours is set up I like the wood upper and lower front pistol grip handgaurd you have also.
All you need is a Romanian reddish brown Bakelite rear pistol grip & a
Well, I need to make new pictures. She currently has a bakelite gas tube cover :grin:

And I'll put on a Romanian reddish brown bakelite PG when I can figure out where to shoehorn more 922r parts into it. . . .
( I try very hard not to use magazine 922r parts )

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Agree with Intrac MKII, but this model will be very hard to find now. A detail on the MKIIs that I don't believe all (or any?) of the SAR 2 rifles have is the angled charging handle.

Here is mine, which with the addition of a Romy orange bakelite grip looks pretty much exactly the same as the one featured on Tantal's website. Here is close up of charging handle and correct furniture.

Website photo

Mine

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys think an Intrac MK II would run me if I could find one?

If I got a SAR 2 and bought an upturned bolt carrier, would I be missing anything?

-Ryan

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you guys think an Intrac MK II would run me if I could find one?

If I got a SAR 2 and bought an upturned bolt carrier, would I be missing anything? Also, do you know where I could find a source for just the bakelite upper HG?

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I own three SAR-2's as well as a MKII, ALL THREE SAR-2's have upturned bolt carrier handles identical to the MKII, but later imports did come with straight handles. My MKII has generic sar brown wood on it and a red romanian PG. A lever folder and fsb with AK-usa 22mm comp.

Very accurate and i use Soviet and EG bakelite mags.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I can get a SAR-2 w/ the upturned bolt for say $450? I should jump on something like that, but otherwise wait for the MKII

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I Have owned two SAR#2s in times passed and regret parting with them. :sad:

So say yes get it, you can not go wrong getting a SAR#2 if you see one. :smile:

I am learning that in our hobby every time I buy something nice something little better will always pop up.

Then come the times when I see something I like and I am not fast enough and loose it, then I never see one again, that happened to me just last night I was talking to someone on the phone and should of typed in( I'll take it ) when I was talking I missed what I wanted by 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
actually, a romak 2 would be the more correct donor since it did come the bayonet lug under the gas block. the romak 2 did come with an upturned bolt. some sar 2's had it some didn't. i was at dunhams sports last week and they had a new wasr 2 with an upturned bolt. it was low cap with dragunov type stock. uncanny.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Friend of mine is selling his SAR-2 New, for around $425, will probably sell it on GB or a AK board soon if he doesnt find a local buyer............I will post a link (INDIANA) to his sale when he does.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
COPE :
AK-usa Manufacturing Inc.
3112-1Palm Ave Fort Myers Fl 33901
(239) 334-4231

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hey thanks Alfred. I am also still working on those underfolder pics for you.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Your welcome COPE :
I need to get a camera and learn to post pictures myself and share with everyone, that would be fun.
One time one of my friends did show me but I don,t remember all the stuff.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I thought you were getting out of the AK game?
I have a CUR2 that is a great base rifle for an AIMS 74

1 - 20 of 21 Posts