AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're considering you're AK for SHTF situations (a la New Orleans) what range is suitable to practice at? 50 yds? 75 yds...or heck (hair raising thought) 25 yds?

This would be urban combat at comparitivley (50 yd?) short distances I'd think.

G

·
0 Posts
Honestly, I think you should train at all combat ranges. For most this is very hard, due to space limitations. But I would train from CQB to as far as is possible. In a real SHTF scenario none of us will be able to pick and choose what range we will have an encounter in.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
BiggerStick47 said:
Honestly, I think you should train at all combat ranges. For most this is very hard, due to space limitations. But I would train from CQB to as far as is possible. In a real SHTF scenario none of us will be able to pick and choose what range we will have an encounter in.
Wise words. I only have a 100 yard range available to me now but I make the most of it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I wouldnt worry about shooting out to 500 yards.....your not gonna hit moving targets after the first shot from that far away anyways, generally speaking. I would concentrate on 300 yards and in including pretty much face to face. In an urban situation you probably arent gonna be shooting more than a hundred yards anyways, But I would train out as far as possible, realistically anything aout past 200 yards is gonna be suppressing fire to get thier heads down so you and yours can maneuver into a better position. But it would be good if you practiced to have the ability to hit targets out to 500 yards...This will only make your close in shooting better. In an urban environment, you may encounter "face to face" and will need to be able to use a pistol or even hand to hand skills to come out on top. I hope I dont let anyone get that close to me and my family in a shtf situation, but if it does come down to that, I like to think I am prepared. So my advice would be practice with both rifle and pistol from point blank, out to 50 yards, then keep on the rifle as far as you can. But keep in mind how far your rifle can shoot without having to "Drop Mortars" on the enemy.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Two guns.

Keep the AK for close range. Practice rapid fire recovery, and shooting with one hand (right and left) incase you are injured.

Keep a designated long range gun for long range work. For me, it would be the PSL. For you, it may be anything, even a single shot. The point is you won't go out to defend your home and fire one shot at a guy 10 feet away and then another at 400 meters away.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thats why I have a DMR for an MBR and a pistol. Of they are close enough I grab the baby eagle. Anything after 50 yards is gonna feel the .308 tappin on thier shoulder!

G

·
0 Posts
I taught APACHE
how to shoot everything within 300 yards. I personally like a 500 yard buffer. MV out! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
And the bottom rung basic stuff you can do at home. Snap the rifle up enough times so that the sights are aligned, front to rear(no target), automatically. Then close your eyes, snap the rifle up, open eyes and you should see the front post dead square in the rear notch. More practice if you don't. The implication is, if you get this down, all you have to do is LOOK at something...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I say it's good to practice at the longest range you've got available to you. Just because you might shoot at a target 100 yds away. Doesn't mean someone on the opposite end will wait til they're 100 yds from you. So having a idea of how your rifle performs at longer ranges is useful knowledge, IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No1Here said:
I say it's good to practice at the longest range you've got available to you. Just because you might shoot at a target 100 yds away. Doesn't mean someone on the opposite end will wait til they're 100 yds from you. So having a idea of how your rifle performs at longer ranges is useful knowledge, IMO.
Well said,

Practice all you can, but expect to engage at under 100 yards in urban settings, well under 100 yards, not a smart place for your .338 Bolt action with a 12-24x variable when somebody pops out of an alley 20 feet away.

I always believed that if a person just paid attention to what the the average range really is for deer in his area, he'd probably be okay.

Now I live in Wisconsin where, after the lying is all over, there are more Deer killed at under 50 feet than there are at over 50 yards. But I have some property in South Dakota where you would think 300 yards and up would be the norm, but I've taken deer there at under 100 yards. (35 remington and 30-30, so you know I couldn't stretch the range by too much.

But even here in WI., there are places where your 800 yard skills might be called on, but the truth is you'll rarely see a deer at that range, let alone a human skulking around trying to get a shot at you.

Well, everyone has an opinion, I guess that's mine!
YMMV.

Regards,
:smile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts