AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Real Swiss Arms 550's sell for around 3k new in Canada.

I don't really see the fiend in using a 550 lower... the fact that the 556 uses AR mags is a HUGE plus, IMO. That said, I guess if you can afford the conversion, you can afford the 550 mags too. Even that, when it comes to mags, I like to standardize as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
For collectors, there is no substitute. However you can fix the SIG 556, buy a colt LE rifle, a good aimpoint, and a stack of P-mags for what the 55X lower conversion costs.

However, if you have the cash for a 556+ 55X lower, then you probably have the cash for the swiss mags too. :twisted:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a 556, loved it. It was my transition from the AR platform over the darkside.

I just couldnt justify the money. So I definitely couldnt justify this.

But I will say it looks way better then the 556 in my opinion. But the 556 taking AR mags was a HUGE plus for me.

I do like how this looks...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
sig

i like the original green model, had a chanch to get one when they first came out for $1800.00 big mistake for not jumping on it

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

I call it my "SIG 556/1-2" I've got about 4K into mine as well. But at least I have 2 lowers to choose from and a dozen+ 55X mags. Oh yeah - and a rear sight, and a STEEL rail, and 55X-type FH, etc, etc....

Bottom line - it's a bit over-priced

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Actually - neither do I... It's not like I could afford the damn thing - but I did it anyway. What can I say - BofA/VISA loves me :neutral:

I wanted something "unique" and this was the ONLY way I would be able to afford the SIG rifle I've always wanted. Conservatively - it's less than 1/2 (some might say 1/3) of the "real" rifle it clones.

I've got a wedding on the horizon and I can hear the clock ticking - so to speak. Lately I've been buying some of the "frivolous" toys that I've always wanted. Once I'm "nailed down" I figure I need to be more "responsible" and start putting the extra money towards a college education (for the child that doesn't exist yet), put more money towards the 401K, put more money toward fixing up the house, saving for vacations, etc, etc, etc...

I've been fortunate enough to be able to shoot and/or have access to, most of the modern "assault" rifles floating around out there (both semi and Class III) - through military, LEO, and via friends (w/toys much cooler/more-expensive than I will ever be able to afford). I'm not trying to say I'm "johnny-tacti-cool" guy or anything like that... but I have had a lot of exposure to different rifles. IMHO, the SIG is one of the smoothest shooters out there.

I saw an oppertunity and figured "F#%k-it, I'm gonna do this :goof:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
yes, it is the upper that is sn'd

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Fixing the 556 without the 55X mod is definitely the cheaper route.

J-rod, how much did the just sight modification run you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts