Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F - Your Choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what lower rails are most desired and widely accepted?
I searched on 3 forums and did not come up with even one thread that will
address all pertaining details

I have the ability to Press some out, so I need to decide..

A few things to note (ponder on) before deciding..

1) Assuming all lower mag stabilizing tabs are kept long so they may be cut to fit ..

2) Assuming NO holes are pre drilled for axis pin or center support.

3) Not considering the auto cuts are present (Although legal, might delay BATFE (&A) approval so why chance).

4) Ejector is kept long so it may be adjusted (fine tuning and/or for 5.45/5.56/7.62).

5) Assuming all will NOT be heat treated.

..Some points to consider: Design, Size, Shape, Thickness, dimple on the ejector and others..

A

B

C

D

E

F
Your Choice - made By ...
Details ....

thought I will include the ChiCom as i have them handy... BUT not part of the Poll as they have different setup.. The center support gets rivited directly to the receiver and the rails are cut out for the center support sleeve.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
ORF w/ mag stabalizers like AK Nuilder...

I make all of my own flats but haven't mastered the lower rails... But I get so tired of paying $7.00/set for rails that consist of .35 cents in material. I've tried to make rails from tubing but it's such a PITA that it just ain't worth the trouble...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tx Dogblaster said:
ORF w/ mag stabalizers like AK Nuilder...
The only issue is that the 115V spot welders will be squeezed for penetration given the extra thickness.

Tx Dogblaster said:
But I get so tired of paying $7.00/set for rails that consist of .35 cents in material. I've tried to make rails from tubing but it's such a PITA that it just ain't worth the trouble...
The material has gone up a a lot. But you are correct, therefor i may undertake this endeavor..

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I should've clarified. I meant the ORF design but using the AKB material thickness and mag stabilizers.... As for material costs going up, I buy approx 250k-300k pounds of sheet metal every week so I KNOW about material costs. Carbon steel material jumped 30% literally overnight in May. Even with the increase in material cost there is still approx .35 cents in material for lower rails...

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
wow, a and b sure look like full auto contraban to install. i make my own from 4130 sheet at .083 thick. this fills the mag well pretty good.

·
Registered
446 Posts
turbothis said:
wow, a and b sure look like full auto contraban to install. i make my own from 4130 sheet at .083 thick. this fills the mag well pretty good.
+1 its a gray area, as some of the early maadis were imported with the sloted rail. but..........................i think the law reads something like "or any part for use in a full auto conversion". i think all the saigas use the sloted rail but they are welded shut. it's a gray area but i wouldn't take the chance on a 8 dollar part. just my .02$ i have always used the tapcos as they don't require to much tweeking. the only problem i have found with them is the holes don't line up 100%, just space from the upper rail and all is good. :grin:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turbothis said:
The auto slots will NOT be cut..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts