AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking what would be the best way of travel?
-Car
-Truck
-SUV
-ATV
-4X4's
-2X4's
I'm thinking maybe 4X4 SUV but something like a ATV would be more maneuverable also harder to see and hit. What do you all think?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
4X4 like Explorer. An old model. The old models have steel bodies and frames, which yes do greatly reduce the power of pistol rounds that go through them (if they go through). The SUV has more carrying capacity than a 4x4 off-roader and offers more protection.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am keeping my eye out for a late 80s 4 runner, they are narrow and agile, and pretty strong motors, Lift em up a little and you have a great multi purpose buggin vehicle.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a 1988 with a 4 inch lift. The 80's 4Runners are the Shit!!! :twisted:

It needs a new engine right now, but still runs on 3 cylinders :goof:
I should have her up and running again in a month or two. Buy the Runner you will NOT regret it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
R0TTIN said:
How are you going to fuel your gas guzzler?
I repeat...

STOREAGE SPACE!

Are gas containers illegal where you live? :grin:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can have all the gas containers you want, but if there is no gas, you are still hosed.

I've been thinking about converting my '74 VW Thing to natural gas. Good economy, seats 4 with a little extra room for other stuff, and a roll bar to mount the crew-served :smile:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think an ATV mufflered way way down- small, can be made quiet, decent gas mileage, and if you get stuck you can usually get it out with no problems.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The 4Runners from the 80's are not gas guzzlers. I get about 28 mpg on the highway and about 24 around town. It is only a 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
As I stated above, my bug out vehicle is only for getting me to my bug out location, I dont plan on driving around all over the place when the shit hits the fan..... But in the mean time I want something that I can have fun in and will be practical for hunting, exploring and just romping around in the woods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here, a '97 (pre computer) Dodge cummins diesel 3/4 ton 8' bed extended cap 4x4 that typically gets 22 mpg empty with no cover on the bed. I keep it full and have 15 gallons of spare fuel in cans in the garage ready to go and another 15 gallons at the farm.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I guess an advantage to diesel would be that if you run out of fuel, you can take someones lamp or something and use that.

What kind of natural gas are you thinking of? Ether or whatever that corn oil is is hard on the rubber gaskets and wears them out quickly.

ETA: Today, I went on a long walk (walked my Husky 7.5 miles, out to the local 7-11 and back) and it wasn't too hard. Walking is always a good choice you can use.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I think an older model Ural or Dnepr sidecar rig with 2wd and points ignition would be best. mark my words, those rigs and cockroaches will be the last things running around long after everything else has broken down!

G

·
I have an 85 4Runner which I believe is one the more ideal vehicles
for this purpose. I also have an older 7.3L diesel Superduty. Now
while both vehicles get the same fuel milege when they are driven
(unloaded) on the highway there is a big difference when they are
driven off road or in stop or go traffic.

They both get a little over 20 mpg on the highway but the pig diesel
does 13-14 off road/in-town while the 4Runner gets 18mpg. I'd take the small size manuverability of the 4Runner any day between the two. Plus,
despite its old age its still a remarkably tight old truck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think I found my bugout car. It has a 780 mile highway range. If people are going nuts in my area I wouldn't have to stop for fuel after that first fill up for several states. It is a Mercedes Benz E320 CDI. It runs on diesel fuel. I need a sedan or SUV for work and want something with a long range and good MPG for my bugout vehicle. The trunk is pretty big and it could make reasonably quick getaways.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Guess where you won't be driving when the SHTF, the main roads or highways. Be realistic, these are the first things they will shut down under Marshall Law.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It may not be a long range vehicle for a full family, but it seem to me a mountain bike could come in real handy for ranging several miles from the home base in a quiet, fuel efficient, off-road manner. Let's see know, how do I mount that rifle scabbard on the mountain bike?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I also have been looking for a means of transportation that will be quiet. Sturdy and not use gas. I figure horses are gonna be my best bet. Since I dont want to be reliant on fuel, cause I think if the shit hits the fan there isnt gonna be much if any....I figure horses and mules are gonne be the best way to do it. I have been looking into nomads. Alot like the goatherders we used to make fun of in iraq. But these people live in the middle of the desert for long periods of time and are self sustaining...
I have already began planning for a hand powered backpack reverse osmosis water purification system and am trying to design/build a pump that you could just toss into a river or large stream that would pump the water through the system. The hand pump would be for areas of standing water like lakes and ponds...The other would be for moving bodies of water.. Already I have figured an alice pack frame with a Hose that has a strainer at the end, then on the frame owuld be a whole house filter to remove sediments and larger particles....Then into the reverse Osmosis system. The filters are reasonable in price and most will last around 6 months in your house. They are lite, but bulky... The biggest drawback is that the RO system uses a large tank, I need to find a smaller tank to make it fit on the back-pack.....And I am a broke joker.....so I cant just shell out 150$ for the RO system without the wife losing her mind...

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Elokoman said:
It may not be a long range vehicle for a full family, but it seem to me a mountain bike could come in real handy for ranging several miles from the home base in a quiet, fuel efficient, off-road manner. Let's see know, how do I mount that rifle scabbard on the mountain bike?
+1 On this solution. I myself do not plan on being a refugee. I would stay put. I'd save my petrol for emergency use only, ride the bike on foraging trips. Silent, easy to stash while doing foot work. Capable of hauling a fairly large load, just look photos from China and India of them loaded down. Good mountain style bike off road could keep you away from "check points" set up on roads. Just imagine a holiday traffic jam magnified 300% as every one else tries the same thing as you. as for the water thing, boil it. 10 minutes, full boil. Kills the critters, chemicals still a problem though. If scenario plays out long enough filters will run out eventually. I live fairly rural, protected 3 sides by water. My problem will be refugees coming to my area.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts