AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the FAL. I'd say a SCAR or AR10 pattern would be nice as well. The HK91-style rifle's just don't do anything for me. But mag's sure are cheap! M1A's I kinda' like, but I'd only consider one with a forged receiver and USGI grade parts. I like the FAL for it's good overall performance. Jack off all trades, master of none perhap's. Plus, i bought a good supply of Steyr mag's when they were five buck's apiece.

·
Registered
21,775 Posts
I dislike how the HK-91/CETME clones break down. I had two and ditched both of them.

Honestly for me the 308 rifles I have are too pricey for me to play with to the extent that I can form an opinion.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KSlay, not knocking your choice, if you enjoy it and it work's for you, all the better. But why do why do you think it's superior?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My only 7.62 NATO Battle Rifle-FN FAL

·
Registered
986 Posts
Because it is the one that I have!!
Just kidding of course.
In my opinion, the big 4 are the FAL, M1A, AR10, and the G3.
I would take any of them. (except the AR10, I just do not like the platform)
I have shot all of the above, and the G3/91/clones seem to suit me best. Like you said, it is what I have enjoyed the best, and has performed best for ME.
It is really whatever your preference is.
KSlay, not knocking your choice, if you enjoy it and it work's for you, all the better. But why do why do you think it's superior?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I've made up my mind that I will own a SCAR 17 when funds permit.
Hopefully, buy then they will have made some upgrades to the funky stock as well, but for a battle rifle in this caliber, I just don't see how anything else comes close.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a much more modern system. I saw on MAC that the stock has issue's with durability. Unacceptable with a rifle in that price range.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
FAL.:thumbsup: Don't like the triggers on the HK rifles.:thumbsdown: Not a big fan of that forward cocking handle either, but I guess I could get used to it. Don't mind the MP5, but you asked about battle rifles. Had a couple G3s but sold them. Down to 12 FALs though.:twisted:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sound's like your FAL inventory is running low. Better re-stock. You got an Izzy? I would love to have an Izzy LB.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
SR-25/AR-10...just because I'm very familiar with the platform. Second favorite....HK-91/G-3. Least favorite...the FAL. Not because they're bad rifles. Every one I've ever touched had issues though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Had an HK91 way back about '79. Couldn't stand they ergos, or the lack thereof. Traded it on an SP1 AR that's somewhere in the back of the safe. I've got a FAL now, and once I get caught up, will probably trade it for a Colt 7.62 AR, whatever it is that they're calling them. I just know my way around that weapon system better, and mounting an ACOG on it will be a snap.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Galil in .308.

When 5.56 just won't do...

When you can get a Kalashnikov in .308, why would you need anything else?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had an original Armalite AR-10, the Sudanese model, not the current incarnation of Armalite. It had alot going for it, and alot not. It was lighter than my SP-1 I had at the time, and waffle mags were $5 each from Paragon because no one used them in anything else. When the SR-25 came out, and the ban hit, the mags jumped to $100 each. Of course I had sold off the package to a buddy a few years earlier. That gun had it all. The sights worked great, the gun was accurate, light, easy to use, everything. It did have some of the same problems that the early AR-15/M16 had with bolt carrier rebound, etc. I have a current Armalite AR-10 and it's good gun, not as unreliable as the original, but heavier and not quite perfect.

I ran through a series of FAL's. Everything from Izzys, inch, metric, etc. I got into them right before the builds got big business and rode that wave through dozens of FALs. I'm down to two, an Inch (on an Amrscorp) and an Argy (all Argy). I sold my Imbel to my SIL.

I had a match M1A built with a H&R kit and a Springer receiver. It shoots great. I built an issue-type rifle on a Polytech receiver with a NIW TRW kit. It shoots almost as good as the match gun. I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of the M14-type. I do like the two I have though.

I've had a couple HK's, an HK-41 and a 91 and I currently have a Protugese FMP. I got it in a trade and it's my ".308 beater" (even though I don't beat on it). I had bought a hundred mags from TAPCO when they were selling them for .50/each. I don't think I would have bought another HK, but I didn't mind the trade since I had the mags and I don't hate the HK system.

I had a Saiga that I was going to convert. I just never got around to it, and a friend wanted it badly, and he had something...you know the deal.

If I were to choose just one .308, it would end up being a FAL of some type. Probably an 18" folder with a spare fixed lower.

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts