AK Rifles banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
The manufacturer calls it an empty chamber indicator. Hopefully you can figure out the problem with the brass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Someones chamber is dorked up. Clean it, lube it, full length resize it, then report back with findings.

Allow me to correct you. Just a bit anyhow......

Someone's chamber is dorked up. Clean it, then, inspect it thoroughly, if OKay, then ANNEAL IT, then, lube it, then full length size it, then measure it, and, if necessary, trim to length any that need trimming, then, if you want, tumble it to get any lube off depending on what you used. :D

And don't go overboard on the lube or you'll ruin the cartridge. Also don't go too light on the lube or you'll get a case stuck in the die. That would be a....... Doh!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Allow me to correct you. Just a bit anyhow......

Someone's chamber is dorked up. Clean it, then, inspect it thoroughly, if OKay, then ANNEAL IT, then, lube it, then full length size it, then measure it, and, if necessary, trim to length any that need trimming, then, if you want, tumble it to get any lube off depending on what you used. :D

And don't go overboard on the lube or you'll ruin the cartridge. Also don't go too light on the lube or you'll get a case stuck in the die. That would be a....... Doh!
I don’t anneal brass. Waste of time. Unless you shoot PRS or have some sort of unobtanium caliber. 5.56/7.62 NATO brass is practically free. If you’re paying for used LC brass then you live under a rock, sorry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don’t anneal brass. Waste of time. Unless you shoot PRS or have some sort of unobtanium caliber. 5.56/7.62 NATO brass is practically free. If you’re paying for used LC brass then you live under a rock, sorry.

I disagree that it's a waste of time. If you reload it makes the brass last even longer. I don't mind picking up range brass but you have no clue if it was new when fired or if it had been reloaded a few times. Just how I choose to do things. Plus, I prefer keeping and using brass that's been fire formed to my chamber, You don't agree, you do it differently, no biggie. You do you,

·
Registered
785 Posts
I disagree that it's a waste of time. If you reload it makes the brass last even longer. I don't mind picking up range brass but you have no clue if it was new when fired or if it had been reloaded a few times. Just how I choose to do things. Plus, I prefer keeping and using brass that's been fire formed to my chamber, You don't agree, you do it differently, no biggie. You do you,
It all depends on how often you cycle through your brass (and batch size), how much you shoot, and how hot the loads are. Having a surplus of brass always helps. From my experience loose primer pockets tend to be the first sign of brass retirement age. Split necks and worn out rims are rare but happens sometimes. Morale of the story, brass is a consumable and I have plenty haha.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It all depends on how often you cycle through your brass (and batch size), how much you shoot, and how hot the loads are. Having a surplus of brass always helps. From my experience loose primer pockets tend to be the first sign of brass retirement age. Split necks and worn out rims are rare but happens sometimes. Morale of the story, brass is a consumable and I have plenty haha.
Just to add to what's been said already. When it comes to range brass, because I don;t know how many times it's been shot/reloaded, I anneal it simply because it gives me a starting point. And from what I've read, most anneal every 4/5 reloads. Some after every reload. Which, personally, I think is too much/often. But again, because I don't know the status of range brass I may get, I like to anneal it to have a starting point. And even if a friend gives me his brass, if they don't say or remember if, it was from a factory box, I anneal it for the same reason. And if you look at most Lake City, it's been annealed. At least the stuff I've run across has been. Even stuff I've bought. Which tells me they anneal and size it before loading, or more likely, it's reloaded brass. And seeing as how Lake City is a military ammunition supplier, and we're just getting over run, I think it's probably safe to say it's reloaded brass. I could be wrong on that part. But not on the part about it having been annealed before I got it.

Again, in the end, to each their own. And while I may not shoot competition or bench rest, I still want to give myself, and my rifle/s, the best oppurtunity to be as accurate as we can be. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those “breech blocks “ are called “safety rounds” I use to make them. Their designed by dr. Silver and made in Knoxville Maby Nashville now !! I use to have to hammer thousands together the back is brass the other end is hard plastic no way they hurt that chamber. No way. These safety rds are bought by a lot of government contractors their good quality and won’t brake when u drop a bolt like other chamber flags . Safety round it the trade marked name. My buddy Josh silver now makes these his dad is the owner.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts