AK Rifles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Allow me to correct you. Just a bit anyhow......

Someone's chamber is dorked up. Clean it, then, inspect it thoroughly, if OKay, then ANNEAL IT, then, lube it, then full length size it, then measure it, and, if necessary, trim to length any that need trimming, then, if you want, tumble it to get any lube off depending on what you used. :D

And don't go overboard on the lube or you'll ruin the cartridge. Also don't go too light on the lube or you'll get a case stuck in the die. That would be a....... Doh!
I don’t anneal brass. Waste of time. Unless you shoot PRS or have some sort of unobtanium caliber. 5.56/7.62 NATO brass is practically free. If you’re paying for used LC brass then you live under a rock, sorry.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I disagree that it's a waste of time. If you reload it makes the brass last even longer. I don't mind picking up range brass but you have no clue if it was new when fired or if it had been reloaded a few times. Just how I choose to do things. Plus, I prefer keeping and using brass that's been fire formed to my chamber, You don't agree, you do it differently, no biggie. You do you,
It all depends on how often you cycle through your brass (and batch size), how much you shoot, and how hot the loads are. Having a surplus of brass always helps. From my experience loose primer pockets tend to be the first sign of brass retirement age. Split necks and worn out rims are rare but happens sometimes. Morale of the story, brass is a consumable and I have plenty haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts