AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Could be from someone’s chamber but also I’ve sorted through some xm193bk bulk packs and found tons of lake city rounds/brass that I wouldn’t shoot. Deformations, cracks, etc. wouldn’t surprise me if that came from the factory like that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Seems to me like the chamber of the rifle those came from has... pitting I guess... on the neck portion of the chamber. Probably shot a bunch of corrosive ammo and didn't get cleaned properly.

Its definitely going to distort the brass and while resizing would probably fix it I wouldn't take a chance. But the bigger concern is the rifle that has a clearly damaged chamber. Maybe try and track down who did it and let them know they might have a bomb on their hands.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This came from where I work. We care rifle around with breach blocks in them so I’m now wondering if those blocks caused some sort of damage in the chamber area in some of the rifles. We shot I think 8 rifles from shift on thrusday. I think I’m going to avoid those pieces of brass and scrap them. Thanks for everyone’s input.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
This came from where I work. We care rifle around with breach blocks in them so I’m now wondering if those blocks caused some sort of damage in the chamber area in some of the rifles. We shot I think 8 rifles from shift on thrusday. I think I’m going to avoid those pieces of brass and scrap them. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Is it from your own rifle or a spent brass range pick up? What type of rifles? Factory ammo or reloaded? What does the brass look like after you resize it?

Without further info, in tight times such as these, I would separate them in a gallon zip lock back or such.

Maybe you can get one more cheap range ammo firing out of them, maybe not. I'd be very concerned if your or any rifle puts out spent brass that looks like that.

If they are trashed, you could still sell them for scrap value, possibly make .300BO and definitely make 7.62 Tokarev out of them along with selling them to someone for those purposes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok to give a little more info this did not come from my personal ammo. This came from where I work which is a nuke plant. We have work rifles that are Armalite AR15s and the ammo we shoot is American Eagle m193 load which was purchased a year or more before Covid. We carry breach blocks in our duty rifles while we work which is, what I believe, causing this deformation on the cases. I think to be safe I will separate the deformed cases from the good ones.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
You should be able to look in the chambers and see. I would do that ASAP. I would never shoot or depend on a rifle with pitting in the chamber. The brass can expand and stick in those pits and have failure to eject and then your fucked. Never heard of a breach block. That sounds funny.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
weaver, That looks like what is commonly called a chamber flag. The idea is that it prevents ammunition from going in to the chamber and at the same time it's easy for others to see. Except for the case head part which is brass, it's plastic. There's no way that one of them damaged the chamber. As has been pointed out, y'all have a rifle with a bad chamber. The defense of a nuclear power plant is a critical operation. Y'all need to find that rifle and have the barrel replaced. The cause of the chamber damage needs to be ascertained in order to know whether all the rifles need to be inspected.

BTW, Calling that chamber flag a breechblock is only going to confuse people. A breecblock is the block in breech-loading firearms that closes the rear of the barrel against the force of the charge and prevents gases from escaping. Some people mistakenly call an ejection port a breech. While it's not technically correct, it usually don't lead to confusion. In this case, it has because "breech" has been combined with a device designed to "block" it. Those words when put together in this case have an entirely different meaning. Call it a chamber flag.
Breechblock - Wikipedia

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well I hate to tell you we call it a breech block here at my work. When we had orange ones, we now use black ones, we use to call them Cheetos and management strongly disliked it.

So what I got from the armor and the training department is that, because of how we do turn over here to the next shift, when it rained the rifles wouldn’t get wiped down and a coating of oil. So the water apparently went into chamber area because of the breech block causing pitting in the chamber.

:: We are replacing X amount of rifles since we got new thermals. And I agree with you that nuke plants are critical and that we need to replace our rifle. As soon as it was identified our management made effort to weed out the trouble rifles and bought replacement when we ran out of replacement barrels. We are also looking to change our SOP in the hopes of preventing it::

1 - 20 of 28 Posts