AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see them everywhere for like $5 each, pineapple or lemon style.

They feel heavy, and are grey, not green. Are these ones that have been made to sell as dummies, or were they de-milled, or used as trainers, or what?

The fuse is an M-228. It looks like a real fuse that has been fired.

I know these are not collectable or anything, I just got them because they look cool and are cheap. I was just curious as to what they were made for and what the fuzes are.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Most of those are bad aftermarket reproductions of real grenades. The one they call 'pineapple' is generally the MkII. The 'lemon' is the M61.

Training grenades are generally hollow, with a hole on the bottom, and are used with a training fuze. The fuze looks like a real fuze, and is, essentially, but it has a low strength blasting cap (just to make noise).

For the older grenades, the M228 fuze is not anatomically correct, but it is what is usually found on grenades for sale on ebay by people who call them 'lemon, baseball and pineapple'. Differences include the way the spoon secures to the fuze body, presence or absense of a shipping safety, and the shape of the safety lever, among others.

Here's a link to the M228 manufactures web page, with more info:
http://www.martin-electronics.com/?product=M228Fuze

..and another place you can look at how grenades are supposed to look:
http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/index.html

If you just want something that looks like a grenade, they are cool, but most of the offerings you see out there are not 'correct' for a collector.

Here is a real MkII practice grenade, 1950's vintage:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuze looks the same, only the lever on mine is brown at the bottom instead of red.

There is a hole in the bottom. On the side of the grenade is "R F X", each letter on a separate piece of the pineapple. On the opposite side is a "5".

Thanks for all the help and info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts