·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what spares I should have. :smile:

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I have gone through this a few times. You end up buying a whole parts kit as spare parts and then you build it into a rifle and you are back at square one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The bolt and bolt carrier are alot heavier and sturdier than they need to be.

Firing pins are the only spare I can ever see you needing. But even that is not likely.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robpiat said:
I have gone through this a few times. You end up buying a whole parts kit as spare parts and then you build it into a rifle and you are back at square one.
Yeah, I kind of want to avoid that. :grin:

It sounds like extra firing pins are the way to go. :smile:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Extra firing pins
Extra firing pin retaining pins (especially for Polish and Chinese variants)
Extra extractor springs

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Do all combloc extractors, firing pin retaining pins, and extractor springs fit the Bulgarian Spring loaded bolts?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
With as much steel-cased ammo as we shoot, seems the extractor would get the most wear. Can somebody school me on this?

t

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
have gone through this a few times. You end up buying a whole parts kit as spare parts and then you build it into a rifle and you are back at square one.
LOL

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Stupid question, but are 74 and AKM extractors and firing pins interchangable?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"are 74 and AKM extractors and firing pins interchangable?"

No - different extractors, generally different pins.

Advice on '47 bolt spares - I would just pick up a Bolt, complete. You're likely to find that it's only a LITTLE more than separate parts... and it gives you a new bolt body as a first line defense against excessive HS issues.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The only thing I worry about is Magazines...it's hard keeping loaded magazines around an AK47 :animak:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trotsky said:
"are 74 and AKM extractors and firing pins interchangable?"

No - different extractors, generally different pins.

Advice on '47 bolt spares - I would just pick up a Bolt, complete. You're likely to find that it's only a LITTLE more than separate parts... and it gives you a new bolt body as a first line defense against excessive HS issues.
<sigh> That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. K-Var sells complete East German AK 7.62 bolt for $67.99 and a rebuild kit (includes firing pin, firing pin retainer, extractor, extractor pin, and extractor spring) for $30.89.

I don't want to sound like I'm obsessing over this, but you guys know how surplus is: one day you are drowning in guns/parts/ammo, the next day you can't buy it for any amount of money. I think I'll do a combination of extra bolts and parts.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Trotsky said:
This place has complete Hungarian Bolts in Excellent Condition for a good price. I haven't ordered so I can't confirm conditon.

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html

(Scroll about 1/3 down page...no pic for it only text description...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts