AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading a post in another forum titled " AR vs. AK", I began daydreaming. Allow me to share my dream with you.

What if, back in the '60s, Robert McNamara and his "whiz kids", as they were known, had simply told Eugene Stoner "no" to his Armalite 5.56 mm package that eventually became known as the infamous M-16?

What if, instead, he had told his whiz kids. "Why reinvent the wheel? The best combat weapon system and cartridge combination in the world is already out there. All we have to do is have Springfield Armory or Winchester or (insert American gun making firm here), tool up and start producing OUR version of the AK-47/AKM platform for our troops to carry. All of the hard work has already been done."
Can you imagine what a fine weapon we would have now, after 4-5 decades of applying American ingenuity and "tweaking" to the already fine AK platform?

Look what we've done with the M-16 in 4 decades. We took a complete POS, (I know, I was there) as it was first issued to the Marines in 1967-68, and turned a basically, fatally flawed design (any system that injects high pressure waste gas directly into the receiver is, IMO, fatally flawed) into a fairly reliable system despite of itself.

We have recognized the shortcomings of issuing a combat rifle in a varmint caliber and made it available in a couple of reliable calibers, the 6.8 SPC and, my favorite, the 6.5 Grendel. We have designed a version that uses a gas piston which isolates spent gas from the bolt/receiver. After all of that, IMO, it is still inferior to the AK platform.

Here is what I would like to see, issued right now, today, an all American made AK platform that would:

1) Keep the 7.62x39 caliber or possibly the 6.5 Grendel.

2) Be supplied with with an 18" barrel standard issue. Other lengths optional for specific missions.

3) A fully adjustable rear stock (LOP, and comb height). Marines and soldiers come in all shapes and sizes.

4) A sturdy receiver sight of some kind.

5) A simple bolt hold open device.

6) Fully ambidextrous controls.

7) Accuracy requirement of 2-3 MOA at 100 yards with issue ammo.

That would be one heck of a weapon! OK my daydream is over, thanks for allowing me to share it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just read about the FN SCAR on Military.com this week. I believe it's available in 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. I would like to see it chambered in an intermediate caliber also...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts