AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure exactly what i've got. any information on where what when etc. would be appreciated

also, i've had shoulder replacement and am concerned about the recoil's effect on my shoulder. i've been unable to find recoil pads that will defiinitely fit and do the job. i saw one at classic firearms but it had no price or way to order it. it was appealing because it allowed access to the cleaning kit in the stock

finally, while it's probably me, i find the rifle inaccurate. i'm wondering what i can have done to improve its accuracy--not by me! want the gun to work afterward. :)

thanks for any help you can offer

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
On recoil, notice how far your rifle throws brass. If it's a lot more than necessary -- don't take this number as exact -- say over 12 feet, an adjustable gas piston could be worth looking into given your concern.

I have the impression that muzzle brakes do less than on an AR, perhaps due to lower gas velocity and pressure with the 7.62x39, but a good brake could also make more difference than a recoil pad will. I went the route of a thread adapter to 5/8x24 to have complete freedom of choice but there are certainly good brakes directly fitting 14x1 LH. A slant "brake" does nothing to reduce recoil to the shoulder, it is for rise and lateral movement only.

Simplest accuracy improvement on the AK: make sure the muzzle device isn't overly loose.

What accuracy are you experiencing? If in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 inch groups at 100 yards from a rest, that's service rifle or self-defense accurate and also is probably as accurate as cheap ammo is. Chasing more accurate than that wouldn't be too realistic probably. Also if yours is a problem child it's probably cheaper to sell and buy a more accurate one than to go pay for example to have this one rebarreled, and certainly faster.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Your gun is Hungarian. Im going to say post ban model because I believe only Kassnar imported the prebans. Furniture is certainly not original, need pics of the whole thing to let you know any more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just make sure under all circumstances this particular AK is "922" compliant... for obvious reasons. lol

What you have is a very nice AK from Hungary obviously. It's very desirable, and I'd assume "AK accurate". I don't use them, but I believe there are multiple options for a "limb saver" type pad for the stock as I've seen many pictures just never looked into it. Are you asking why this AK isn't accurate as if comparing to others, or is this your first and it's not bolt action .22 lr accurate? (Ak's are what we call "minute of man", and while some exceed this, you won't find them to be precision scalpels by any stretch of the imagination... they are what they are! Sexy, reliable, simple, utilitarian awesome.)

·
Registered
My Oleg Doesn't Hurt Anymore. 👌
625 Posts
^ IMHO, if anyone ever asks if someone's stuff is 922r, it damned well better by someone it matters to, who has good reason to believe that is isn't, a proper warrant to seize / inspect, and an actual scientific basis to determine where the parts were manufactured.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, that focus does seem rather:

Jaw Gesture Happy Font Elbow

Reactions: Commander Marnie

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
how do i make it more accurate?

Practice.

Reactions: 43m1garand

·
Registered
My Oleg Doesn't Hurt Anymore. 👌
625 Posts
Is the "make it more accurate" a gun meme or something? Unless the physical characteristics of the barrel and the attachment points, the bolt etc are changed, anything else only makes it easier for the operator to improve their own performance, not the weapon's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ IMHO, if anyone ever asks if someone's stuff is 922r, it damned well better by someone it matters to, who has good reason to believe that is isn't, a proper warrant to seize / inspect, and an actual scientific basis to determine where the parts were manufactured.
It was a joke... I think you and Trenace missed it entirely... check the serial #.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yup, I did miss it.

You have a sharp eye. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: Reno 911

·
Registered
630 Posts
Muzzle brakes definitely cut down on recoil. I have one of these. Barrett Style "Tanker" Muzzle Brake for AK-47 - Black

I would say it cuts down on the felt recoil by a good 20%, at a cost of massive increase in muzzle blast. Just be mindful of those next to you at the range. Any sort of buttpad is going to help as well.

Now I'm not an expert in shoulder replacements, but I should think that even without any recoil reducing devices if the recoil from an AK just fired in normal semi-auto function is damaging your replacement you should probably sue whoever sold you a shitty shoulder replacement. Outside of high caliber weapons or some full auto stuff it shouldn't damage your replacement.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You could try some different ammo and see if it shoots better. Shoot at 25 meters with a sand bag rest to sight in.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Joint Outerwear Arm Jersey Dress shirt

clay shooters use these, It might help you

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Loved that dinosaur show with the baby refusing to say "dada"!! Not the mama was great!

As to your rifle, yes a post ban SA-85M, but still a very desirable AKM variant.

I have found that even though it doesn't look right on an AKM, the brake used on the AK-74 bored out to be used with 7.62 bullets works great at taming recoil. Also the brake used on the AMD-65 is another good choice. Both do a great job of easing recoil. I would use either brake along with the shoulder protection shown in post #14.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your gun is Hungarian. Im going to say post ban model because I believe only Kassnar imported the prebans. Furniture is certainly not original, need pics of the whole thing to let you know any more.
here are lots of pictures from different angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the group!

Loved that dinosaur show with the baby refusing to say "dada"!! Not the mama was great!

As to your rifle, yes a post ban SA-85M, but still a very desirable AKM variant.

I have found that even though it doesn't look right on an AKM, the brake used on the AK-74 bored out to be used with 7.62 bullets works great at taming recoil. Also the brake used on the AMD-65 is another good choice. Both do a great job of easing recoil. I would use either brake along with the shoulder protection shown in post #14.
thanks for the welcome! pictures of gun in reply to wingnut

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks to everyone for taking the time to help!
a little background might explain some things. i bought the rifle in 2007 from a small shop ffl who took it in trade. only shot it a few times due to range access and personal stuff then tucked it away for "later".
shot it off hand. first ak ever. didn't expect tack driving but was disappointed in what i saw. of course, as explained above, there was no practice to speak of so i really can't say what it's capable of. was wondering what modifications for accuracy might be appropriate but now see i need to get it out to the range first.
regarding 922r,how would i check the serial number for compliance? while i assume the ffl had verified it, it would be nice to confirm it.
the muzzle is not threaded for a brake. i assume i'd need a gunsmith to install a brake, given my vast handyman skills :rolleyes:
as for the shoulder, i may be paranoid but the surgeon who did it was not helpful when i asked after the surgery. he hemmed and hawed and said the replacement was only plastic made in new jersey and not as good as what God gave me. the dr who took over the practice when the first retired was less helpful. so i left the ak in the safe. but now........ it seems a recoil pad would be a good idea to cushion the metal butt plate.
thanks again. looks like i found the right place and people to ask.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts