AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
No new ones can be built unless you have a Class 2, and even then you must have a letter from the chief of a Law Enforcement agency that says they want you to build one for a demo. Then, if they like the demo, you can make more for them. Then you can keep the demo yourself, but can not sell it unless it is to a Class 2 or higher who has a demo letter.

To buy one that is a pre-86 registered gun, all you need is to pay the $200 tax stamp and wait a few months for the BATFE to check you out and then they send you a tax stamp, and then you can own the gun. However, they tend to cost alot of money. $4,000 for a MAC, $7,000 or up for an Uzi, and so on. Rare jewls like PPSh-41s, MP-40s, and StGw-44s go for $20,000 and up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
No new ones can be built unless you have a Class 2, and even then you must have a letter from the chief of a Law Enforcement agency that says they want you to build one for a demo. Then, if they like the demo, you can make more for them. Then you can keep the demo yourself, but can not sell it unless it is to a Class 2 or higher who has a demo letter.

To buy one that is a pre-86 registered gun, all you need is to pay the $200 tax stamp and wait a few months for the BATFE to check you out and then they send you a tax stamp, and then you can own the gun. However, they tend to cost alot of money. $4,000 for a MAC, $7,000 or up for an Uzi, and so on. Rare jewls like PPSh-41s, MP-40s, and StGw-44s go for $20,000 and up.
Mostly correct Q but FFL/SOT2 or otherwise known as an NFA Manufacturer Does Not need a Demo Letter to build a Post Sample MG. He must infact Fax or mail a completed Form 2 within 24 hours of completion though. Any suppressors that a NFA Manufacturer would make must also be registered on a Faxed or mailed Form 2 within 24 hours of completion. If the SOT2 were to sell the above mentioned MG to another SOT2 or SOT3 buying the weapon would indeed involve having to have a PD Demo Letter to start the transfer.

Below find a pic of one of our Post Sample RPD's

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Knew about the suppressor thing.

BUT- lets say you build a Bren, an RPD, a MG-42, a Vickers, and a DP-28... and a PPSh-41... assuming you send in a form 2 within 24 hours, they are all legally yours to own and shoot and require no demo letter until you transfer them.

Does the demo letter come into play during transfer between you and other liscensed manufacturers, or just the PD you sell to?

Also, is there a limit, IE if you make 30 RPDs is it considered no longer a set of guns for "testing"?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Q right you are. Love Letter only when transfering to another SOT. You could make 1000 if you want just register on a Form 2 within 24 Hrs. of completion.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Q right you are. Love Letter only when transfering to another SOT. You could make 1000 if you want just register on a Form 2 within 24 Hrs. of completion.

:twisted:

I feel the need to suddenly introduce PPShs and DP-28 full autos to mysel-er- the local law enforcement. :grin:

What all is involved in the Class 2 besides the long arse wait? As in the fee you pay, initially and yearly?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Application for a 07FFL ($150.00) *3 Yrs. Upon approval of FFL $500.00 SOT2 *Yearly at Reduced rate due before July 1 every year. Make your Posties submit Form 2 within 24 Hrs. Whole FFL/SOT2 Process takes Aprox. 6 Mos.

Converted Select Fire Glock17 Post Sample

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW!!!!!!!

On the GLOCK, did you get a drop in selector or make your own?

If I ever win the lottery I am getting a 07 liscense. In the first part when you said "3 years", did you mean $150 covers the first 3 years, or that you have to wait 3 years for approval? Sorry if I misunderstood something there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
$150.00 FFL 3 years. No as soon as your FFL07 is in hand you apply for your Special Occupation Tax Stamp and as soon as th BATFE cashes your check you can do business using your EIN Number. Just Track your check with the bank and your Hard Copy SOT2 will be mailed to you in 30-45 days.

No I make the conversion switches for LE.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Wow! Thanks alot for the info... it looks like you get to have some fun stuff... is that attatchment on the GLOCK a folding stock or grip or something? I can't see how it would unfold...

Sorry for all the questions, this is just really interesting, and it's great to get the answers face to face with pictures.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Wow! Thanks alot for the info... it looks like you get to have some fun stuff... is that attatchment on the GLOCK a folding stock or grip or something? I can't see how it would unfold...

Sorry for all the questions, this is just really interesting, and it's great to get the answers face to face with pictures.
That is a glock buttstock. Not legal for average joe to install on theirs but Ok for LE/Military etc. It is an effective piece. I have a friend that is Class 3/SOT dealer and he has 2 FA Glocks and the buttstocks.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The average Joe could install it if he registers his GLOCK as a SBR... then he can add the pistol grip and the buttstock with no issues.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Let me add a word of caution. I am excited over the prospect of building my own posties legally. I have several kits like one of the Thompson's that came out of the Soviet Union. It is pricey but much less than the $12-18000 I've seen transferable command. It is even easier and cheaper for us semi-auto builders to convert an AK to F/A. My company plans to produce select fire firearms for government and law enforcement.

The caution comes in when some guy brags about how he got his SOT and builds all sorts of different posties for himself to shoot with no intention of selling them legally. The 02/07 licenses are for guys who want to legally introduce full autos into commerce for government and law enforcement. Otherwise we tweak the noses of the BATF and that is unwise.

I didn't see anyone in this thread going overboard. I just wanted to caution that the license is not a credit card for hobbyists.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote"It is even easier and cheaper for us semi-auto builders to convert an AK to F/A."Quote

I don't understand that one as legally you can't unless your a SOT2 semi builder. And by all means give PD Demos of your Posties and your well within the BATFE Guidelines. As far as sales of Select Fires to Gov't don't sell your tooling to make bicycle fenders unless you have an uncle whose name begins with Teddy and ends in Kennedy. Shortie M16 sell the best to PD's and they won't pay the price for Krinks but they love to shoot them at demos. Glock Switches on the other hand are pretty easy as they sell themselves and you'll sell 3 or 4 every demo session.

*Note: These are new pics I deleted the others as I found some stolen copies where some asshole was trying to use my pics for some scam.

·
Registered
429 Posts
John, what you say is true. Your Glock conversions are really attractive for law enforcement and seem really cost effective.

My comment about the ease of converting a semi AK to F/A deals with economics. I wear two hats, one a semi-homebuilder; the other an officer in an 02/07 SOT.

As a homebuilder, I can build a cheap Romy 922(r) semi AK for about $150 or less if I use a 100% receiver. Buildling an F/A out of a Romy kit would cost less (no US compliance parts) even if I still use the 100% receiver. In any case the conversion is a third hole and installation of F/A parts that probably came with the kit.

Building something like a Thompson or a Soumi would involve more cost and effort. That was my point...nothing more.

Dennis

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dennis if you can find a PPSh41 that was Saw Cut behind the trunion it is a real easy build and with a 9mm barrel blank from ER Shaw Barrel Makers very economical to shoot. ER Shaw is only 12 miles from me and they sell a great 9mm Barrel Blank. Just copy the contour of the original 7.62 X 25 barrel and you'll have a sweetie :cool: Drums and stick mags are dirt cheap. Just Tig slow welding the repair section backed up with brass for cooling.

·
Registered
429 Posts
John,
Your work is outstanding. That looks better than something that came from the arsenal.

I think it's time for me to start looking..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey gang, great forum. Can a C2 SOT sell directly to a LE agency, or does the transfer have to go through a C3 ? Also, can a C2 sell suppressors directly to the end user, or do they have to go through a C3 ? And finally, can one C2 buy parts (like the glock f/a conversion parts) and / or complete guns from another C2 without a demo letter ? Sorry for all the questions, but I am seriously considering going the C2 route, as I have quite a few contacts in the local PD / SO departments that would be potential customers. Thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The best reference for your own information is Dan Shea's Machine Gun Dealer's Bible. All the info you need to know about the law and what you must do and what you must never do are in there.

A C2 can sell a NFA item directly to government or LE.

Also, [this is my understanding but check it out] another C2 can repair or work on an NFA item as long as it has been marked with the C2's info and Form 2'd.

The first C2 has to log the item out of his boundbook and ship. The second C2 has to log into his upon receipt. After the work is completed the paperwork is reversed so the audit trail is clear and complete.

That's probably more than you needed to know, but it's more complicated than one guy saying, 'here, build this for me.'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts